Bluetooth pairing does not work on Windows 10

Posted on
  • Hi,

I have been trying to pair the puck with my laptop. Though I can see the puck in the list of devices the pairing always fails with the message : "Connection failed becuase an incorrect code was entered"

Any idea how to solve this?

I have:
    Window 10
    Sony vaio
    Using a bluetooth 4.0 CSR dongle
    I am using the Espruino Web IDE desktop app

• Hi
    I have just received a puck.js and am running windows 10.
    I have not seen the "Connection failed becuase an incorrect code was entered" myself.
    You downloaded the Web IDE and are using it locally?
    What is the exact type of dongle?

Not much help I know, but the device can work with Windows 10.

Edit:
    Maybe a closer look at the dongle and compare with another machine that does not use the dongle.
    https://forum.csr.com/forum/main-categor­y/main-forum/software/893-can-not-pair-a­-ble-device-with-a-csr8510-dongle-csr-ha­rmony-2-1-63-0-why

• Hi Owen,

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes I downloaded the WEB IDE and trying to use it locally. But I believe I need to connect my PC to the puck before I can start using the web ide.

I am using this a Ninzer made Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Dongle.

Actually, I can easily connect with my android phone. But its not the most convenient to write code on.

Sid

• A gif (metered connection as I am on a mobile connection)

1 Attachment

• Basic Pairing.gif
  • For some reason I dont see the puck on the list of devices in the "Manage Bluetooth devices" window, like the one you show above. I can however, see it in CSR bluetooth device list. I'll post some pics later, unless you have already an idea why I cant see it on my "Manage Bluetooth devices" windows.

• Ahh - you're using CSR's tools, not the windows built-in ones?

As you're using an external CSR dongle you might need to try and get some Windows 10 drivers for it? It's possible that if you installed older driver/software the CSR tools don't make it available using the Windows 10 APIs.

To be honest as you're using an external dongle the easiest solution might be to:

• Uninstall the CSR tools and drivers
    • Follows the Windows 7 instructions to run Zadig and change the CSR dongle over to use the WinUSB drivers

The Web IDE should then run and connect without you having to pair with Windows - it'll be talking to the dongle directly without going via the Windows 10 APIs.

• oh okay. Yeah that might be it. I will give it a shot.
    Thanks!

• Gordon mentioned Zadig, there is a faq and a couple of gifs for reference
    https://github.com/sandeepmistry/node-bl­uetooth-hci-socket/pull/54#issuecomment-­277601713

• I am not too sure if the reference Gordon made to the Windows instructions is to what I tried:
    ie. I tried to use Zadig installed river with the native app: did not work for me with my Intel Bluetooth adapter

I return to non-Zadig ie Windows 1o for my installation as it is working with native app and the windows 10 support for my Intel Bluetooth

ie I would say remove all extra CSR tools and remove the driver (delete driver) and install adapter and make sure the Windows 10 finds the driver (basically what Gordon was stateing in part of his reply)
    If necessary supply the inf files by reference to any driver disk that is available from CSR

Follows the Windows 7 instructions to run Zadig and change the CSR dongle over to use the WinUSB drivers

1 Attachment

• Capture.PNG
  • If you can find some Windows 10 compatible drivers for the CSR dongle, that would be ideal as it'd mean that when Web Bluetooth finally makes its way into Chrome, it'd work for you fine. However it might be that your computer already has built-in non-BLE Bluetooth, and that's what Windows is using instead of your CSR adaptor. I guess you may have to disable the built-in bluetooth adaptor to make it work.

If you don't want to mess with your internal Bluetooth then I'd suggest my original instructions. @OwenBrotherwood they may not work with your Intel card, but the Zadig instructions should definitely work with @Icarus's external CSR Bluetooth dongle.

So, for @Icarus:

• Remove CSR's tools and drivers from your computer
    • Run Zadig, Options->List All Devices, choose the CSR BLE adaptor, and make sure WinUSB is the driver.
    • Run the native Web IDE - and hopefully you'll be able to see and connect to Puck.js

If it doesn't work, please go to settings in the Web IDE (top right), click console, and copy/paste what it says here so we can see if there are any errors.

@OwenBrotherwood if you're willing to mess around with the internal of the noble library, there are a bunch of USB PID/VIDs in there - you might find that by adding your Intel adaptor into that list you can make it work - if so it'd make a good pull request for Noble

• My Intel is supported as such,
    Intel Wireless Bluetooth 7265 0x8087 0x0a2a
    From
    https://github.com/sandeepmistry/node-bl­uetooth-hci-socket#compatible-bluetooth-­40-usb-adapters

However, this deep vertical dip into the pains and gains of this area of bluetooth may have factors that need to be analyzed in order to obtain something that works.

Hopefully for others as well as myself on the Intel Wireless Bluetooth 7265 0x8087 0x0a2a which seems to be one of the types of adapters on Lenovo Laptops.

• That's interesting - could it be that yours is internal and so isn't a USB adaptor but is actually connected via PCI Express? As far as I know, Noble requires that the devices are on USB.

• This looks a bit like dejavu to me!

http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­297603/#comment13396707

I never did get it working with the csr4.0 dongle and windows 10 :-(

• That's interesting - could it be that yours is internal and so isn't a
    USB adaptor but is actually connected via PCI Express? As far as I
    know, Noble requires that the devices are on USB.

I have not really looked at the why it doesn't work (for the time being unless it becomes a big issue for others ) but have expanded the Windows view of connected devices and have

1 Attachment

• Capture.PNG
  • Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bluetooth pairing does not work on Windows 10

Posted by Avatar for Icarus @Icarus