grb ws2812b?

Posted on
  • I've recently started playing with a WS2812B ring and I expected the color format to be RGB, however when I send a [255,0,0] the first LED lights up green instead of red. This baffled me so I tried [0,255,0] and the first LED turned red and [0,0,255] blue. Are some variants of the WS2812b's GRB instead of RGB or am I doing something wrong? This also happens when using the graphics library the color scheme is GRB.

• I've never seen RGB WS2812B's - I've always seen GRB.

• Huh, here on the wiki it comments that as green but when I try it its red, but perhaps that is because the wiki is written on the older WS2811's?

EDIT: Nevermind you're completely correct, checked the datasheet and it does say follow the order of GRB. Guess I'm just gonna have to get used to it.

• Annoyingly there seem to be many different colour orders - I think the APA104 ones might be different again?

I'm afraid it's just something you have to put up with - not much you can do from Espruino's side.

• The ws2811 ones can be any color order, since it's up to the guy making the boards which color leds he puts on which pins

• Just to add that if you're controlling them with the Graphics lib, you can specify a colour order: http://www.espruino.com/Reference#l_GrapĀ­hics_createArrayBuffer

• Thanks @Gordon I didn't know about that should make it easier for my brain, I'm just used to everything always being RGB.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

grb ws2812b?

Posted by Avatar for MrTimcakes @MrTimcakes

Actions