Graphics

Posted on
  • I'm assuming that the Graphics library isn't included in the build for ESP8266 both from this post by @MaBe and my own testing with an ESP-12 and it returning "Uncaught ReferenceError: "Graphics" is not defined". Perhaps this should be documented on the Espruino on ESP8266 docs page.

If anyone does get a build working with graphics I'd love to know. I'm trying to fit a power supply, ESP8266 and SSD1306 (or some other display) into a light switch in a wall for monitoring server temps and usage, I'm not sure if I can fit one of my original Espruinos in there too.

• @Ducky you can have Graphics, but with 1000 instead of 1400 vars and even without fonts in flash

• Since it's JS, you can also fake it:

var Graphics = { createArrayBuffer : function(x,y,bpp,flags) {
      return { buffer : new ArrayBuffer(x*y*bpp >> 3); }
    }};

... or something like that. Obviously you don't get any graphics functions but if you're happy poking bits and just want to use the existing drivers, that could be an option.

• That is alright for a start.
    So, if I want to print "X" on my OLED for example. How do I continue with your code?
    Will it stay on screen, or do I have to print it over and over?

Is this "problem" also for "ILI9163 LCD CONTROLLER" and others?

• You would have to set the correct bits up in the arraybuffer g.buffer. Maybe:

var Graphics = { createArrayBuffer : function(x,y,bpp,flags) {
      return { buffer : new ArrayBuffer(x*y*bpp >> 3); }
    }};
    var g = require(lcd).connect...;
    var a = new Uint8Array(g.buffer);
    a[0] = 0b01000010;
    a[1] = 0b00100100;
    a[2] = 0b00011000;
    a[3] = 0b00100100;
    a[4] = 0b01000010;
    g.flip();

There is no way to 'just' draw text at the moment on ESP8266.

If you used a proper Espruino board you wouldn't have that problem as there's a Graphics class with lines, text, etc built-in.

But until someone manages to compile that into ESP8266 you're out of luck.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Graphics

Posted by Avatar for MrTimcakes @MrTimcakes

Actions