The site infrastructure

Posted on
  • @Gordon Don't know, if this is the best place to discuss, or it's already solved, but just saw, that Mozilla persona is shutting down on 2016. november 30: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mo­zilla.dev.identity/mibOQrD6K0c/kt0NdMWbE­QAJ

Also microcos.sm itself is shutting down. The forum was unavailable for some time during the last holidays. Can't get any hard numbers about when...

• Hi - yes, here's fine to discuss.

I know microcosm.app says it's shutting down, but I know the guys doing it and they are still keeping the server going for the foreseeable future - it runs a few big forums in London that they're personally involved in, so they're not going to let it stop - but they're just running it in their free time now (rather than trying to make business out of it).

Having Persona shutting down is a total pain - I knew they were deprecating it, but didn't realise they were going to pull the plug. Pretty shocking of Mozilla really, given how many people depend on it. I'll have a word with the Microcosm guys, but I'd be pretty sure they have a plan for migration.

Sorry about the downtime - did anyone else notice this? It's been rock solid for me recently, but then I guess I wasn't using it much over Christmas.

Regardless of what happens, the forum software is Open Source - so if the hosting does die I can host it on my server, and can hack in some other means of authentication.

• I saw it down a couple of times. It got mentioned in Gitter too. Great to hear about microcosm.app - I thought it had gone a while ago and assumed you had already started hosting it yourself.

• I'm really sad to see persona go too - Mozilla is an organization I am comfortable with handling login like that, moreso than one of the big internet companies, which is probably what we'll end up with :-/

• Actually I hoped that you know the microcosm.app guys :)

If you don't have any "is my site still alive" ping-thing, there are a few reasonably good free ones. Of course if you can actually do anything about it. Not much point annoying yourself if you can't fix it...
    I'm using uptimerobot. And recently found out that the ebil MS / Azure also has one similar service for free that supports somewhat advanced tests with multiple geolocations too.

• I'm pretty sure they do have something... I assume that the only reason for downtime over the holidays was that they were on holiday when something happened, and were unable to go and fix it.

I heard from David - I'm pretty sure it's just him working on it now. He says there's a group of people (including him) working on a free Open Source Persona replacement, which should also allow Google/Facebook/Twitter/etc logins, and presumably a smooth transition for those who currently have Persona logins.

He's confident that it'll be ready before Persona dies, and that the forum will migrate over to that. So... panic over really :)

• Cool :)
    edit: and sending the reply with ctrl-enter works, nice :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

The site infrastructure

Posted by Avatar for AkosLukacs @AkosLukacs

Actions