Tetris on RGB matrix

Posted on
  • I build Tetris on Espruino and output it on a 16x8 RGB matrix. I'm controlling it work some push buttons which works well but I might build something better.

You can download the code here, it will work with most displays just change the Graphic settings at the top. There are still a few small bugs and lots of features I want to add.
    https://github.com/owenmcateer/espruino-­tetris

Here is a quick video showing the game play (excuse the crappy paper diffuser but my camera can't focus on the LEDs without it)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Ut3Kzd­zRU

• That looks great! To be honest the paper diffuser still works pretty well :)

• That's awesome. The diffuser isn't bad - you need some kind of diffuser, otherwise you can see the individual colors in each LED (like red/green dots inside the yellow). Vellum from art store is considerably better than straight up paper. It's a little clearer, looks more even, and less obviously cheap.

The diffuser (and frame around it) also lets you hide some super bright lights along the perimeter, which you could do a light show with (ie, a few bright flashes right after a tetris, making it harder to see the game action - this is legit tactic in arcade games, used very effectively in pinball)

Really, no need to excuse your paper difuser - your tetris gameplay, on the other hand... ;-)

• @DrAzzy have you come across a decent way of getting/making a grid to go behind the diffuser? When we did it for the Word Clock it was a bit of a labour - it feels like there must be an easier way!

• For this size, a 3d printer comes in mind. Or use a prismatic acrylic sheet with corresponding spacing (1/n of the led spacing). Should be nice without a grid.

• Gorgeous. About control: Why not use a Wii Nunchuck? @Gordon made a perfect module for that ;-)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Tetris on RGB matrix

Posted by Avatar for Owen @Owen

Actions