sdcard size support?

Posted on
  • My espruino board finally arrived :-) I'm as happy as a 2 yr old eating their first ice-cream cake! Anyways, the smallest sdcard that I have laying around is a 16gig. What is the maximum size sdcard size the espruino board will support?

• It's best to try and find out. I don't believe there is much of a limit. I've used 16gb cards and they work fine. In some (small) cases there may be something strange about the formatting of the card though and you'll have to reformat it as FAT32 on your computer.

• Gordon, thanks for responding. When I plug the Espruino board into a USB port, should windows 7 find the device and mount it like a regular USB device? If that is the case, windows is not mounting the device so I cannot copy files to the sdcard. I'm not sure if that is the way to load external .j's file to the sdcard for future usage.

• Hi. Espruino appears as a USB COM port (see http://www.espruino.com/Quick+Start) - it doesn't 'mount' the SD card so you have to use a separate card reader for it.

Having said that, the JavaScript is stored on the chip itself so unless you need to log data you probably won't need an SD card plugged in.

• I would like to segregate the functionality of my project. Basically, depending on if the data received wirelessly(bluetooth or wifi, I don't as of yet) is a command, for example "calibrate"
    , load the calibration script from my sdcard and etc...

• That should work - though I'm not sure it'll be necessary to put the scripts onto the SD card, I can certainly see the utility of this.

No matter what, though, you should load the files onto the SD card using an SD card reader, and then put into the Espruino.
    Using the Espruino, instead of a SD card reader (which can be had for about the cost of a latte, even in a brick-and-mortar store) to fill the SD card with static files from your computer would be a case study in how to make life hard on yourself. You can of course have your code write to the SD card, and send it code to write the files, but this is an awkward way to do it.

Regarding the original question - it should definitely support cards up to 32GB (the limit of the SDHC standard) if it supports cards larger than 4GB (the limit of normal SD), and I think as long as it's formatted FAT32, you should be able to go higher. Note that (as Gordon has said numerous times), Espruino only supports FAT32. Windows insists on formatting cards above 32GB (and such cards are typically preformatted) in exFAT, which presumably won't work. Google can tell you how to format them as FAT32 - there's oodles of information on this because some cellphones insist on FAT32 as well.

• Thanks for the info! I didn't know about exFAT.

The only condition is that the FAT sector size is 512 bytes - but as far as I can tell this is pretty much a standard now so you shouldn't have to worry.

Personally I'd write whatever code you need on the device itself first, and would then use the SD card only if absolutely required. There's no point making life hard for yourself :)

• I will keep my code on the Espruino and use the sdcard for logs. I thought separating my code and loading when needed like RequireJS does seemed like a neat idea and help keep the code, if it gets too long, readable.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

sdcard size support?

Posted by Avatar for d0773d @d0773d

Actions