STM32 Virtual COM Port Driver Windows 8

Posted on
  • OK just unpacked my first board and hit a snag. I've followed the quick start guide (installed the IDE in Chrome) but Windows is complaining that it has no driver for the board. Usual steps to find a driver haven't worked and following the instructions on the discussion at http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­224 hasn't resolved it either.

The machine is Windows 8.1 64 bit. I haven't tried the Espruino on others yet.

Any hints?

• Hi Paul,

I'm not sure, maybe others can help? JumJum definitely has it working on Windows 8, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it working on others too.

Can you try plugging it into another USB port on your PC and just leaving it for about half an hour (with your PC connected to the net)? At least on the versions of Windows I have tried, windows takes a ridiculous amount of time to find the drivers on Windows Update.

If that doesn't work, have you tried installing the XP drivers from here? I know they are XP drivers, but they could potentially help (although Windows 8 should have support built in).

Also, can you try on another PC? that'd be a good way of tracking this down.

• Thanks for the prompt response. The board is working fine on a Win7 machine. I'll see if I can find the time later to investigate further.

• Hi Paul,

Thanks - can you let us know if you find something? I wonder if this is specific to Windows 8.1? I find it surprising given that Windows XP, Vista and 7 work though - and it's not some random USB device - it's a USB standard.

• I am having trouble getting it to work on Windows 8.1 as well. The XP drivers didn't seem to work. Any other ideas?

• Under Device manager I get:

OtherDevices?>
    STM32 Virtual COM Port!

When I open the driver properties for the STM32 I get:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

• Found a forum here: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/YAF_Gatewa­y/forumhost.aspx?g=posts&m=802283#post80­2283

That gives a link here: http://dekar.wc3edit.net/st%20website/VC­P_Setup.zip

This worked for me! I ran the 64bit version which I am thinking was the source of the issue.

• My installation is:
    STLinkDriver 1.04.00
    STM32 ST-Link Utility 3.1
    Windows Driver Package - STMicroelectronics USBDevice(12/05/2012 13.54.20.543)
    All of this is installed using "start as admin"

My main problem was the USB cable which was wired for power only.

Everything was installed on Windows 8, and is still running after updating to 8.1

• Thanks all, saved me a job. JohnB's link seems to point to a copy of Gordon's recommended WinXP driver. It works :-)

To help future searchers...
    I also did a quick check on Windows 8 RT and it needed a driver install. The Windows 7 machine mentioned in my earlier post was using a Microsoft driver.

• Ahh, so Windows 8.1 doesn't have the driver?

I just diffed the two files, and yes - JohnB's file is exactly the same as the one I posted. I'll update the docs to point Windows 8.1 users at it too.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

STM32 Virtual COM Port Driver Windows 8

Posted by Avatar for PaulMc @PaulMc

Actions