Login security

Posted on
  • I would prefer that there is a simple login process before entering Espruino command prompt, so not everyone can script the code. I'd like to know how I do best implement that whether using javascript code or should be modifying low level c source code.

• The best method is probably to modify the C source code (the console is handled in jsinteractive.c), however you could do it in JavaScript:

• Setup Serial5, and then explicitly set its pins back to read mode with digitalRead
    • Move the console to another serial port with Serial5.setConsole
    • Write your own handler for USB data with USB.onData, and when the correct password is entered, swap the console back.

What are you using it for that requires it to be locked down?

I haven't bothered that much with security because honestly, if someone's got the box open and can plug USB in, they could probably attach a JTAG/SWD programmer/debugger and reprogram the chip/read its contents, or could reboot it into bootloader mode.

• If you can afford something simplier, I would adapt http://www.espruino.com/Single+Button+Co­mbination+Lock - It's just security trough obscurity, but a lot easier to implement (reenable the console when the right sequence has been pushed)
    I agree with Gordon about not bothering much with security anyway, I don't think password protecting the console would be generally useful.

• It might be a good idea for me to have an example of locking Espruino down anyway I guess.

I had plans for a 'loopback' device for the console, which would make implementing this kind of thing a lot cleaner, and would also allow people to do things like attaching a keyboard to Espruino :)

• +1 for the keyboard! Were you thinking ps/2 or usb?

• @Loop PS/2 most likely, but the idea is more that you write your own keyboard input/graphics output.

Currently it can be done but you need to use 2 serial ports (one to direct the console to, and another to read the console data back with).

Here it would help because you could direct the console to it (without a handler) and then the console is in some kind of no-mans-land where nobody can access it.

• Thanks Gordon and Loop for tips. My app is for wireless / remote programming, so that’s why I am thinking about need for security. Refer to http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­1104/, I finally will do , just monitoring and filtering on messages that flow in another receiving port that the board communicates with outside ( not in console port as I though before, and leave console port as it is).

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Login security

Posted by Avatar for gito.nirmolo @gito.nirmolo

Actions