You are reading a single comment by @adjtm and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi.

My understanding of IP67 and IP68 is "don't put them underwater or under a water stream". The first number means dust insertion protected and the second number the same for water. IP67 is water resistant for accidental static submersion up to 1m (0.1 ATM) for 30min, while for IP68 it depends on what the manufacturer has tested. As I understand static means not underwater streams like swimming or under the tap and accidental means "don't do it on purpose". Both standards should protect against rain or splashes for a few minutes. In any case, all of this is tested with the device new and without any previous shock or wear.

For example, the Samsung Gear S3 is IP68 and the company says: "under specific conditions, the Gear S3 can withstand accidental submersion up to 1.5 meters underwater for 30 minutes [...] IP ratings are not indicative of a device’s ability to be used during aquatic activities such as swimming. This is where ATM ratings come in". My conclusion is: direct splashes of light rain probably OK, anything else don't do it.

I would trust more a 1ATM device than an IP68 one, but I would prefer 3ATM for showering and 5ATM for swimming.

https://news.samsung.com/global/can-you-­swim-with-your-wearable-these-water-resi­stance-ratings-will-help-you-find-out

About