Caller Name in Notfication

Posted on
  • Hi,

maybe used the wrong search terms but couldn't find anything surprisingly.

I get incoming call notifications from my Android phone just fine and its really useful (deciding whether I need to jump to my phone or not;)).
    This works well with numbers I know, but often I dont know them.
    So I wonder, is there a way to send the Name of the contact associated with the caller (if there is one only o/c) to the JS2?

Thanks

• I just had a look into this, and it seems like if the name of the caller is known, it should go into the Notification's title instead of the text Call.

It might be worth going into Android's 'App' section for 'Bangle.js Gadgetbridge' in Android Settings and seeing if you have all the permissions set - maybe it doesn't have permission to access your contacts?

• It actually didn't have those, but even after setting them I still only see the phone number.
    In the permission manager I do see that Gadgetbridge did use the Contacts but no Names...

Slightly off topic - It probably wouldn't be simple to make the notification popup respond back to the phone to accept/reject the call, would it?
    I mean I wonder why there are two buttons there if it doesnt't matter if I press accept or reject;)

• Slightly off topic - It probably wouldn't be simple to make the notification popup respond back to the phone to accept/reject the call, would it?
    I mean I wonder why there are two buttons there if it doesnt't matter if I press accept or reject;)

This github issue relates to this: https://github.com/espruino/BangleApps/i­ssues/2489

• It probably wouldn't be simple to make the notification popup respond back to the phone to accept/reject the call, would it?

That's odd - it should do. It's the first I've heard of it not. Code's here: https://github.com/espruino/BangleApps/b­lob/master/apps/android/boot.js#L253

• I see, the function is

title:event.name||/*LANG*/"Call", body:/*LANG*/"Incoming call\n"+event.number});

Which means it would display the name in the title and the number in the body...
    Maybe I just didnt notice the Caller name in the title (too small)?

Tried just now but didn't get a call notification at all for some reason...

• You can try it yourself from the IDE and see if it works ok... http://www.espruino.com/Gadgetbridge#mes­sages-sent-to-bangle-js-from-phone

GB({"t":"call","cmd":"incoming","name":"­name","number":"+441234123123"})

It seems to work for me - and you can also check that it sends {"t":"call","n":"ACCEPT"} when you click the 'accept' button

• So, flashed the current fw today, that fixed the problem that no calls where showing any more.

So when the next call came I was looking at the title and saw caller name. Quite small for my old eyes (primarily due to the fact that most of my contacts have long names and it gets size reduced to fit. A short named Caller (first name only) was visible fine.

I assume I can roll my own Android app, but not too keep on that;)

Is there a particular reason why thats in the title and not the more prominent body (where i was expecting it all the time)?

Also is there an option somewhere to turn on the light upon receiving a message? I run without it most of the time to save power so that makes reading the incoming notification harder to read. I suppose i could press the button to turn it on but thats inconvenient when I'm busy and just want to have a quick look at what it is...

I assume I can roll my own Android app but not too keen on that;)

• Also is there an option somewhere to turn on the light upon receiving a message?

On the Bangle: Settings->Apps->Messages->Unlock Watch

Is a way to do it, given you have backlight set on when the watch is unlocked.

• Hm I'll try that, thanks.
    I think i turned everything off when I was battling with the watch turning the display on and off all the time (even in the dead off the night while I was sleeping, my wife asked me wth was going on ;))

• There's no reason the caller name couldn't be in the middle of the screen, it's just how it was implemented originally. It'd be very easy to change at https://github.com/espruino/BangleApps/b­lob/master/apps/android/boot.js#L60-L65 and I doubt anyone would have an issue with it.

Pull requests very welcome :)

• I dont even have that option under Messages?

• I could do that if I had an idea how to do that:p
    Cant be too difficult though, will give it a try:)

• Are you sure? It sits between the 'Auto-Open Music' and 'Flash Icon' entries.

• Man, I really get old :(
    Thanks.

• The lit up display sure helps with reading the fineprint.

Still think name would be better placed as main item due to more space -> larger font.
    Also would consider cutting the chatter short - Don't need the polite "Incoming Call:" if I'm short on space in the first place, "Caller:" would totally suffice (imho).

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Caller Name in Notfication

Posted by Avatar for Rand__ @Rand__

Actions