[solved] Bangle.js 2 pedometer not working

Posted on
Page
of 2
/ 2
Next
  • Hi. Just recently I had discovered that pedometer in my unit is in fact working but only for left hand.
    I will try to flip the screen but as I got used to analog watches and my previous BIP I just wear it without it and it registers only like 1% or less

@edit
    Looks like no help with left handed flip

• Thats interesting, which Pedometer widget are you using?

It should work on either wrist. I will try a test with a Bangle on each wrist.

• Today. Right hand and shopping:
    Gadgetbridge: 26...
    Lato watchface: 20... (This should be in line with health app)
    Health app: 30...
    I made easily at least 2k today.
    I will check tomorrow on left hand and I will look for some spare smart and to compare

• ok. Just been out and done 6000 steps, before getting back in the car.
    Before I left I rebooted both watches to reset the step count to zero

First 2000 steps, watch 1 on left, watch 2 on right - both within 100 steps
    The reset watch 2
    Second 2000 steps, watch 1 on left, watch 2 on right upside down - both within 100 steps
    Then reset watch 2
    Third 2000 steps, watch 1 on left, watch 2 on left upside down - both within 200 steps

Which firmware are you using ? Install the firmware clock_info and you can see it via the Lato clock. There was an issue with some Bangles having a DC offset but this was fixed a while ago. Unless you are on realy old firmware you should not see that issue.

Are you saying you definitely only recorded 20 steps when looking at the step count in Lato (which uses the clock_info and reads direct from the step count Bangle.getHealthStatus("day").steps). I was a bit confused by the three ... after the numbers.

I would not expect the GadgetBridge step count to reflect total steps unless you have been carrying round your phone all the time. See
    https://forum.espruino.com/conversations­/385539/#comment16942663

• 1) According to info app and firmware updater via https://banglejs.com/apps/?q=firmwa and also suggested clockinfo widget:

Your current firmware version is 2v17 and DFU is 2v16
    Update was done this thursday via mentioned FW updater not via NRF toolkit or other android thirdparty

2)

Are you saying you definitely only recorded 20 steps when looking at the step count in Lato (which uses the clock_info and reads direct from the step count Bangle.getHealthStatus("day").steps). I was a bit confused by the three ... after the numbers.
    Yup. And those "..." was me totally overreacting. Sorry for misdirection. And keep in mind that
    Bangle.getHealthStatus("day").steps gets me now 26 (late evening), clockinfo same, but health app (this one should use same handle for charting?) shows 30 steps

There are many other quirks

1. HR sensor is all over the place (from 30 - 90 in 10 minute intervals I set up in Health app)
    2. When i get back from launcher (desktop launcher) most of widgets are hidden unless i specific redraw this using long press). Only Light Switch Widget stays but remain unresponsive anyway
    3. Wheel Menus are loading only sometimes. When not it working only if I upload other app (so probably updating boot kicks it in?)

So my conclusion for today is:

1. Reinstall firmware
    2. Reinstall all apps I am using
    3. Test tomorrow with right hand again (i will carry my old smartband for comparsion)

@morning update
    First small success. After wipe update and reinstall HRM seems to working without issue.
    Only gimmick is that I was afraid of downgrade so to be sure I installed now latest beta FW.
    I will update steps issue after a walk

1 Attachment

• Screenshot_20230507_091526_Banglejs Gadgetbridge.jpg
  • So.
    Half of my walk with watch on tight hand, half with watch on left
    Count: 34!
    That's funny cause once again second band shows ~3450 steps

Is there some kind of divider there maybe?

• Suugest a couple of thing.

1) run Bangle.getHealthStatus("day").steps via the IDE and check what steps are reported.
    If the step count looks close to your other fitness band then the problem is some config on your watch.

2) Try and setup a minimum sets of apps to start with. Say just the default ones that are present after a factory reset. Then update all they apps. Then install Lato Pedometer so you can see the step count.

See how that goes.

• 1) exactly same as in lato watchface clock_info and lato_pedometer (see screen)
    2) I will give it a shot.
    My setup before today wipe:

Firmware Version	2v17.71
    Apps Installed	boot (0.57), notify (0.12), health (0.23), setting (0.60), about (0.14), sched (0.22), widalarm (0.01), alarm (0.41), ha (0.09), weather (0.25), dtlaunch (0.23), clock_info (0.02), lato (0.02), calculator (0.07), widslimbat (0.01), lightswitch (0.06), widbt_notify (0.17), gbmusic (0.11), qcenter (0.04), swscroll (0.03), quicklaunch (0.14), messageicons (0.05), messagegui (0.65), widmessages (0.05), messages (0.58), android (0.23), messages_light (1.6), pomoplus (0.05), keytimer (0.02), widpb (0.05)

Strangely there is some of "movement" values stored there but I have to check if its somehow correlated.

I will wipe everything now + add only Lato pedometer widget to check if anything different will happend.

BTW. Is accelerometer responsible for counting steps? Or other sensor?

2 Attachments

• 2023-05-07-140737_434x47_scrot.png
    • 2023-05-07-140051_363x85_scrot.png
  • Your watch is not counting steps properly - it looks like something to do with the accelerometer.
    It is possible record a few minutes of accelerometer data so we can look at what is going on.
    We might have to try that next.

Yes the step counter works off the accelerometer data. So does the movement measurement.

Movement is something different. I have not looked at the code for movement - but I it will get triggered for any movement where as the step counter is looking for a regular sequence of cycles that match the normal pattern and timing of walking. Also the changes in g force back and forth have to be above a certain threshold. The threshold is quite sensitive but we seem to have it right as its been about 1-2 years since anyone had a problem with step counting.

I spent a lof of time testing the step counter to work out how to make it work so I'm probably an expert on it.

• Where I can gather those logs?
    After factory wipe I got 0 steps for now. I am not as active but hey, I walked a bit for sure.

• Just do a log of say 2 minutes normal walking or 500 steps.

• @HughB
    Thanks. I will provide in some time, as I am at work now.
    I checked just now roughly and got info that z axis is stuck (see screen). Maybe this is the case but I have no idea but clearly this is not normal.
    And the steps counter works if I have really hard swing the watch alone.
    @Gordon How to perform full wipe of the watch to be sure i get rid of all old code, settings, etc.?

1 Attachment

• 2023-05-08-081405_619x783_scrot.png
  • I would more look into resetting the accelerometer (run until battery is empty or does a soft reset work?) instead of wiping the code.

• Resetting the watch did the trick for HRM so I honestly will try everything as long as I don't have to return it (sphipping fee was mental)

• Did you already try the 6s-button reboot? http://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js2#reset­ting

• Yup. No luck there. I think i also wiped it couple of times.

• Don't know if Gordon has a better idea but I would suggest to run the Bangle until its battery is empty. You can speed it up under settings->util

• No luck either. I will top up a bit and go for a walk to gather data.

• @HughB
    Sorry I wasn't able to do proper workout but I can confirm that z axis is broken and constantly shows

any advice?

• Unless a flatten the battery reset fixes it, it looks like a broken accelerometer.
    In order for the step counter to work it uses SQRT(X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2).

Step counters that only one axis tend to stop working in certain positions - eg one of the Garmin (£500) smartwatch wont count steps if you walk with sticks.

• You could always step sideways (sorry could not resist the image in my head).

• I will flatten battery again. Previous attempt not helped as i wrote before.
    I am not giving up but in the meantime I contacted BerryBase as this was official seler mentioned on website.

• Did you try factory reset via the Settings / Utils menu for a full wipe ?

• Did you try factory reset via the Settings / Utils menu for a full wipe ?

Yes.

In order for the step counter to work it uses SQRT(X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2).

I noticed when I realy hard shake watch in rythm it will count but no z axis activity sadly.

You could always step sideways (sorry could not resist the image in my head).

I imagined Quicksilver wall walk ;)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

[solved] Bangle.js 2 pedometer not working

Posted by Avatar for bb5 @bb5

Actions