(baro) sensor offset calibration?

Posted on
  • Hey, I've searched before posting but apologies in case I've missed anything. Yesterday I've noticed that the baro in my Bangle.js 2 is offset by about 30hPa from a Garmin GPS baro, a Casio watch baro and the local forecast and this is for the absolute measurement, not one corrected for altitude. Is there a way to calibrate this?

Thanks in advance!

• ok interesting, both my Bangle.js 2 do read a value that is only +-1 hPa from comparable devices. I wonder if your Barometer reading hangs like in https://forum.espruino.com/comments/1664­2970/

Can you try the long-press-button-reboot. What pressure reading do you get afterwards?

-

To answer the question: I currently see no way to set an offset. But we can program that easily if needed.

• Aw shucks, it does appear to be stuck at a value (tiny vario doesn't register a lift ride), baro app reads zero in digital and ~1000 analogue and multiple reboots don't change this.

I'll attempt shutdown, charging and stuff like that but for the moment it appears something is wrong with the baro itself :c

Thanks for the pointers!

• Can you please try this: https://forum.espruino.com/comments/1664­5817/

If you have the SPL06 we might be able to reset the sensor without a full discharge:
    https://forum.espruino.com/conversations­/381706/#comment16770729

• I've done both described procedures,

>[Bangle.barometerRd(0xD0),Bangle.barome­terRd(0x0D)]
    =[ 0, 16 ]
    > 

and

Bangle.getPressure().then(d=>{
      console.log(d);
      // {temperature, pressure, altitude}
    });
    =Promise: {  }
    undefined

I don't speak js in the slightest, no idea what to make of this so thanks for your help!

• Looks like you got the SPL06, ok lets try a reset with

Bangle.barometerWr(0x0c, 9)

(at your own risk..) and a long-press-button-reboot afterwards. After that your barometer should work again.

As an alternative you can upload the attached file with the IDE as "baroreset.settings.js". Go to settings->app->baroreset and execute the reset. Also after a long-button-press reboot the barometer should work again.

1 Attachment

• That helped! Thanks a lot. I've seen mentions of this happening due to the sensor being powered up long-term, in my case probably due to baro alarm widget so I'll try disabling that.

• Good news!

baroalarm only turns on the barometer during a measurement. It gets powered off again.

• That's interesting - do you think there's something we could do in the firmware to help fix this?

I didn't realise they would end up wandering off over time...

• I don't believe it was wandering, I assume it just was stuck at that value. Happened to me multiple times.

• Affirmative, that's what it turned out to be- stuck.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

(baro) sensor offset calibration?

Posted by Avatar for b3-4r @b3-4r

Actions