• Yes, being able to send error reports, or at least have the App Loader say 'we found an error, would you like to upload it' would be cool. It wouldn't be desperately hard to allow Espruino to write uncaught exceptions to a file - for instance it could just write the very last one that happened...

However, in terms of logging...

I have tested and it does not look like console.log('xxxx') output is sent to log.txt

I just tried here, and messages from console.log do appear in the log. There are some caveats though:

• If you're connected via BLE (eg to Gadgetbridge) then errors get sent there instead (you can 'view logs' in Gadgetbridge and see them)
    • If you connect via BLE and then disconnect, you have to reload before stuff appears in the log again (so long-press the button, or when you launch an app)

I think this could be fixed reasonably easily, but even so if you're just debugging your app it's not too hard to work around.

Chances are you won't need to log either - I bet when your app stops working it'll be because an exception was thrown

• do appear in the log. There are some caveats though

Ok, was not aware of that.

I bet when your app stops working it'll be because an exception was thrown

The problem is I have no idea when it fails, it hangs while I am asleep, I cant always remember to connect to the IDE to capture any output. It may not be my app that is the problem, it could be something else. I've not gone after the issue as it only happens infrequently. I suspect it is some sort of memory leak. I still think there might be issues with custom fonts being loaded, but its not yet proven.

I think the ability for exceptions to go to log.txt would be very handy.
    Obviously privacy is an issue so it would have to be enabled by choice.

We probably dont need full crash reporting (eg microsoft style) and general log (mostly rubbish) collecting, I think thats a bit OTT. I'm more in faviour of the 'keep it simple' design philosophy.

Happy to log this as a feature request.

About