You are reading a single comment by @user152222 and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Thank you all for your responses.

• On the design of the charging port:
    • * It was hard to find a picture where the Amazfit Cor 2's charging cable design can be observed well, I managed to find one: https://cdn.tacticalproducts.cz/img/700p­x/8596311144295_62779_M.jpg Credit where it's due, it's a smart design -- the connectors are level but the slightly U shaped design of the plastic doesn't allow shorting on a metal surface. I'd recommend considering something like this for a BangleJS 2+ / 3 -- or maybe for the 2 such a charger could be developed? I'm happy to pre-fund on Kickstarter or something, maybe it could be developed in a way that it's compatible with other smartwatches too (I'm assuming this port layout is used elsewhere also).
    • * I'll see if I can make a video of what feels like a less than stable charging port.
    • * I really appreciate the extra short circuit protection. I'm happy to pay extra for that, even if the charger design will get adjusted.
    • * Supporting battery wear information would also be a suggestion for the next BangleJS, if feasible. I'm assuming/hoping that the battery can be replaced, it'd be nice to know when is it time to do it:)
    • I've taken a snap of the bottom surface on day 1 with the surprising scratches, will attach. Maybe it's that thin film you mentioned? I don't see it but input is welcome.
    • Battery: I've turned off most of the automated backlight features, and the data is interesting: the battery level is still jittery when I'm out and about, I see this on the watchface and also in GadgetBridge. I found this thread https://forum.espruino.com/conversations­/372705/ but it doesn't answer the question -- why is the battery level jittery? Is it a hardware thing? (I'm a software/product guy, I don't know much about battery hardware.) From Gordon's comment I suspect it's just the way a battery works, and in this case it's fine (actually, very much appreciated to know what the latest reading is), but it's weird, this is my first device that does this (maybe other devices just mask this? lol) -- and in case it's just a hardware thing, it might make sense to mention this in the docs.
      ** Also, in Power Manager I don't understand what's "Force monotonic battery percentage" -- would it simply mask the phenomenon?
    • Not tracking sleep is a huge blow for me, this is one of the main reasons I wear a smartwatch. I recommend calling it out in the docs / not too far from the store page to prevent disappointment. A heavy suggestion for Bangle JS 2+ / 3.
    • Today I went out for a fast paced walk -- Bangle didn't register the steps and the increased heartrate. I don't understand why; the interface seemed generally working but even when I pressed the heart icon in GadgetBridge there was no reading (I waited 30-60sec). Maybe there is still a film on the back? I'd still guess the steps would be registered.
    • Installing GadgetBridge on GrapheneOS: yes, how I understand the thread that I found where a kind user was sharing his/her experience, is that F-Droid uses an older Android API, while this "Neo Store" by default uses the newer API, and on GrapheneOS the right permissions are only available if the BangleJS flavour of GadgetBridge was installed with the new API. Till this point I didn't even know there were different APIs, but here we go:) Reinstalling with Neo Store fixed my issue. It might be worth mentioning this at http://www.espruino.com/Gadgetbridge#how­-to-set-up .
    • (Seemingly) DoA: I did try pressing the button for a long long time too, after charging for an hour or so. I was surprised that after many hours of charging it turned on for a simple button press. I wouldn't be surprised if there were people reporting DoA just because they haven't tried charging it overnight.
    • Backlight turning on: I'm on Android. Good suggestion re:BT, I can check this out, thank you. For power saving, which app should I set up to be always running, would it be GadgetBridge? http://www.espruino.com/Gadgetbridge#ext­ra-setup doesn't seem to be clear on this.
    • Bangle GadgetBridge icon: yes, fair play, I was suspecting it's the case:) I've replaced the icon with my launcher. What I recommend for consideration for the next product development step is to reach out to people with some design skills who believe in FLOSS to chip in with a design.
    • Tracking down error toasts: at times I also see a series of toasts claiming that the GB plugin isn't installed on the watch -- which looks odd because I definitely installed it. I don't always have the opportunity to connect to debugging when I see the toasts; is the debugging info also available a good 30min later?

General feel: huuuuge potential, pretty much perfect physical layout, mature hardware, potential for growth in product development + software, very good docs that need a bit of tuning here and there; currently more like an open platform on people can hack than a product people can reliably use and hack. A similar mind blowing experience when I first saw Android 1.0. I feel the next big step could be stabilising software (incl. the ecosystem!) and adding a bit of structure into product development. What I could imagine for next milestone is either a Bangle JS 2+ or a Bangle JS 3 -- both with stabilising software and getting the product development more structured (building UVP from strengths like privacy and openness etc.etc.etc., standard stuff)., and the difference being same (or slightly improved) hardware or a more significant touch on hardware features.

P.S. Great work so far folks and I'm very excited about the next phase(s)!

1 Attachment

• IMG_20221225_134226_834_1.jpg
About

Avatar for user152222 @user152222 started