• I am unable to connect to download the new firmware. The watch is paired only with an old tablet running Ubuntu Touch. It will not allow me to “forget” the watch pairing. It is not feasible to follow the “Quick Start (Bluetooth LE” instructions on this touchscreen tablet.

Following the same instructions on a Linux laptop running OpenSuse and Chrome yields the same “Device Connection Failed” that I get with Chrome on a Windows 10 laptop.

I am unable to access the menu screen to check settings, no matter how many times I reboot the watch. It just keeps showing the default watch face.

• Just to make sure, when you're on the default watch face (and the bangle touch screen is not locked) you can't get to the launcher by pressing the physical button? If you can you should be able to navigate to the settings and do a factory reset.

• As @Ganblejs says, if the clock is showing the watch face, you should be able to get to the launcher by pressing the button twice (once to unlock, once to enter launcher).

If that doesn't work, does the clock face keep updated with the current time?

• The double press works - I had thought a single long press had worked previously. I have set HID off, BLE and Programmable set to on, but still am unable to connect. The default watch face does not display the correct time. The battery had died because I had displaced the watch, and after charging, the display started at 12 am or pm with date Dec. 31, and has been proceeding in the same timeframe ever since.

• I had thought a single long press had worked previously.

A single long press takes you back to the clock, but won't load setting when already on the clock screen.

What happens if you choose the Make Connectable option from the bluetooth settings page? And is the Bluetooth logo in the top right blue or grey?

• "Make Connectable" on press shows "Bangle.js e2bc - Stay Connctable - Yes". I have to long press to return to the default watch face.

Insofar as I can distinguish between these alternatives, the bluetooth icon appears to be a faint grey.

• Ok, has this ever worked for you? Or was it working and it stopped?

Is it possible to install the 'NRF Connect' app on an Android or iOS phone and use the 'scanner' on that? You could see if by putting the Bangle into DFU mode (hold button for ~10 seconds) you could then detect it advertising as a device called DfuTarg

• The watch worked great until a few months ago. Since then, it would connect to GadgetBridge but not the apps page. Often, I would notice that the time was wrong, but this would be corrected after the watch automatically connected with one of the two Android phones I carry on walks. Since the watch was misplaced and totally discharged, after I found it again a week ago, it now displays Jan. 6.

Using the HRF Connect app on Android, it shows "Connected Not Bonded". The first time I used the app, it disconnected after a few seconds. Now, it stays connected. The bluetooth icon is now a darker shade. I disconnect and it still says "Device Connection Failed" on the apps page.

• Using the HRF Connect app on Android, it shows "Connected Not Bonded". The first time I used the app, it disconnected after a few seconds. Now, it stays connected.

Well that's pretty promising then. What device name were you connecting to? DfuTarg (DFU) or the actual Bangle.js abcd? I think the DFU may automatically reboot if the DFU process hasn't started within a certain time, so that could be why you saw the disconnect.

Since then, it would connect to GadgetBridge but not the apps page.

This is what you'd expect normally... The Bangle can only have one connection at a time, so if you're connected to Gadgetbridge, you'd have to use the apps page within Gadgetbridge. The one on banglejs.com/apps won't work unless you explicitly disconnect the Bangle from Gadgetbridge (and if you have 2 phones, both of which have Gadgetbridge, when you disconnect one, the other may automatically reconnect?).

Have you also tried just rebooting (or turning bluetooth off and on again) on the phone/device you're having trouble connecting from? It actually seems to be quite a regular occurrence that the bluetooth radio can get confused on some of devices (I had to do it on my PC just this morning).

• I don't remember the first connection on HRF Connect; now it is connected to bangle.js.e2bc.

Two of my three Android devices (but not the tablet) show the watch as an available bluetooth device, but ask for a pairing code when I try to connect on the apps page - and now also when I try to connect on GadgetBridge. Rebooting and turning bluetooth off and on again make no difference.

• Two of my three Android devices (but not the tablet) show the watch as an available bluetooth device, but ask for a pairing code when I try to connect on the apps page - and now also when I try to connect on GadgetBridge

Ok, well I think what's happened in that case is you've modified the Bluetooth settings and enabled the pairing code.

You can go Settings -> Bluetooth -> Passkey BETA and disable it again, and that should solve your problems.

But personally, it sounds like you haven't used it a great deal. I'd say it might be worth Settings -> Utils -> Factory Reset and resetting the watch to standard, and starting again from there in case there are some other settings that got modified that might trip you up further down the line.

• I used the watch a lot until it would not connect, then I just used it for the time (which lost a minute, then two, then three over several months), until I misplaced it.

I have factory reset. The apps page allows me to connect, but disconnects when I try to upload the firmware update (I'm at v 12 I think) and/or the bootloader update (bootloader unknown).

I've been unsuccessful in using the two Android nrf apps to upload the firmware upgrade. Both disconnect me before the firmware file can be uploaded. nrfConnect starts uploading but stays at 0%, while the app toggles between connected and disconnected, finally going back to the "Devices > Generic Access" etc. screen and "Disconnected".

I now cannot reboot the watch. It is stuck on the display "SW Reset > DFU 2V12 > CHECK STORAGE > NO NEW FM > BANKD INVALID > BTN1 = REBOOT"

• Ok, thanks. This does seem very strange. It feels a little like a software problem, but I'll ask Christine to get in touch and arrange a replacement if you can send the old one back for us to take a look at.

• When will Christine get in touch with me ?

• Hi,

I believe that I sent you an email about a week ago :) asking for your address.

• Hi, i have the same problem. Ive flashed my Bangle Js 1 with the nRF ToolBox using DFU.
    I flashed it 2.15 > 2.16. Now im stuck on the same screen..
    I got the .zip from https://www.espruino.com/Download > Bangle.js 1 > Release: espruino_2v16_banglejs.zip. Is there a way I can get the smartwatch to work again?

Edit: When i flashed it with the meantioned software. I use my Smartphone: Huawei p20 pro. From time to time i had to reset the process for each %. example: 1% Progress -> failed : Error : Selected firmware is not compatible with the device. -> restart the process

1 Attachment

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-01 at 21.17.46.jpeg
  • Forum search for "btn1=reboot", the top result is a comment in conversation "Bangle2 : Won't boot up.". See if anything in that conversation will help you.

• Well, I've looked for an answer before :). Netherthenless, I found a solution : inside the DFU App, I changed the
    "Number of packets" to 6,
    "Keep bond" to true,
    "External MCU DFU" to true.

With this changes I had no break in the installation and could install 2.16 on the Bangle js 1.

I ve been using Version 2.3

• Good to hear, nice one :)

Do you think it would make sense to add that to https://www.espruino.com/Firmware+Update­ ?

• Ive seen some posts with similar problems. So probably. To reduce the package size to download the whole firmware without interference, I haven't seen such an answer in this forum. ( Or I haven't found it...).
    The installation took, 2-3 minutes.
    I have here 2 Bangle.js 1 and installed 2.16 the same way on both. With those settings both installed the firmware without a break.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Cannot connect banglejs 2, also cannot access menu screen

Posted by Avatar for user149803 @user149803

Actions