OpenStreetMap improvements

Posted on
  • Hi! I just pushed some big changes to OpenStreetMap.

• You can update OpenStreetMap without having to re-upload the maps
    • The app uploader can now be run when OpenStreetMap is installed to manage maps and see which areas are recorded
    • You can now have multiple map areas installed at once, and they can be different sizes and scales
    • Support for much larger map areas uploaded than before
    • The OpenStreetMap maps app can now zoom in and out (via a menu when you press the button)
    • The currently recording track in the 'recorder' widget should now be plotted in the openstmap app if there is GPS - but I haven't been able to test this yet

... and a few more things. The quality of zooming is not amazing but this still seems like a huge improvement.

Really the main thing we need to sort out is the filtering of OSM maps into 3 bit color - if anyone has any contributions I'd love to see them (maybe it's best to start dithering)

• Cool, multiple maps were on my wishlist.

Question: What does happen when multiple maps overlap? Which one gets the precedence?

Also there could be a bug with the recorder app when a map is uploaded with size != medium there seems to be a x,y offset. Can anyone reproduce this?

• What does happen when multiple maps overlap? Which one gets the precedence?

They're drawn in order right now - so the one furthest down the list of maps gets drawn last. Potentially the uploader could have a way of sorting, or maybe we just sort so the smallest maps get loaded last?

Also there could be a bug with the recorder app when a map is uploaded with size != medium there seems to be a x,y offset. Can anyone reproduce this?

Recorder app? Or just the maps themselves? What kind of offset are you seeing? I did try testing it with multiple overlapping maps of different scales/sizes and they did appear to match up ok, but I guess something could be wrong.

I did spot an issue plotting tracks from the OpenStreetMap app, but that's fixed now.

• How about preferring the map with highest zoom layer for a location?

About the offset:
    I have attached two screenshots of the same track (recorder->select track->plot openstmap).
    One with uploaded size = medium (second) and one with size = XL (first). The medium one looks plausible, the XL one has me cross the water (no I did not).

Versions: openstmap v0.15, recorder v0.19.

2 Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    • screenshot0.png
  • It seems that the current GPS position marker is offset from the correct position in OpenStreetMap, too.

• Ok, so in that first image, you've got both maps showing? So you're zoomed out of the XL map, not 1:1?

It seems that the current GPS position marker is offset from the correct position in OpenStreetMap, too.

Is that with an XL map too?

• Yes, this was with an XL map.

• Thanks - just found this, it was to do with the interface.html - should have a fix soon

• Ok, should be fixed if you use the development app loader: https://espruino.github.io/BangleApps/

I'll get it in the main one tomorrow. I also allowed uploads of much bigger map sections (15x15) which end up being around a megabyte

• Great. I will give it a try.

• Looks good here, thx.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

OpenStreetMap improvements

Posted by Avatar for Gordon @Gordon