• This thread will be used to collect resources for and hopefully discuss development of a future app for generative workout planning based on physiological indicators such as sleep, previous workouts, etc.

As mentioned here.

One implementation tested here on the Running Channel on youtube:

Papers for inspiration:

Things to consider:

• Is it worth putting any effort into this before HRM is better? I've not really tested myself, but I've read on the forum that while it has improved, HRM could probably get more reliable with more tinkering.
    • Should all this live in the bangle app, or some of it live in e.g. Gadgetbridge?

I will be adding to this opening comment.

• Is it worth putting any effort into this before HRM is better?

Well, if you have a bluetooth ECG it can effectively replace the Bangle's built-in HRM (at least as far as your app is concerned). So you can always develop with that if you have problems with the Bangle's HRM and then later when it gets better you can use that.

... but generally all light-based heart rate monitors do struggle if you're moving your arm around a lot - so if you're doing serious exercise an ECG is probably the way to go anyway, regardless of if you're using a Bangle or not

Should all this live in the bangle app, or some of it live in e.g. Gadgetbridge?

Personally, I think if you can do it all in the Bangle, that'd be better. It'd then work for iOS users - and sometimes it's nice not to have to take your phone with you.

• To answer the question in this thread,
    Yes, I've seen these 2 apps. I can't use them at the same time as the Run app, and therefore I went for the "Heart rate alarm" app, which kind of partially did the job. I can set a lower and higher limit and it buzzes when limits are reached, and because it's a widget I could use the run app at the same time.
    But it's not convenient at all: I can't setup intervals for, say, 5 minutes fast run, 2 minutes walk, or anything else. Also, I can't stop the "Heart rate alarm" app for a short walk, without stopping the Run app first.

1. IMO, before having a personnal trainer app, we need a runners coach app. Meaning, before having the watch decide of a set of running sessions (which will be different, like recovery: slow even pace in zone2, many different types of intervals, HIIT sessions, etc...), we need the watch to be able to offer specific kinds of runs and to give feedbacks (faster, slower, recover, half distance, you finished).
      Maybe a fork of the run app with an extra screen we can swipe to could be an option.
      I think a slider showing where in the heart rate zones you are any moment is what I'd love to see. I actually made a basic design of it half a year ago. And a distance gauge could be a great feedback too.
      I use an ECG btw.

2 Attachments

• vertical hr zones.png
    • distance.png
  • @Gordon Thanks for the input!

@Fteacher
    Thanks for elaborating! :)

Maybe a fork of the run app with an extra screen we can swipe to could be an option.

Maybe we open a fork of it on one of our own repositories to develop together and do PRs to that and when we want to add it to the official app loader we either suggest to merge into the Run app or a new app?

• Disappointingly, I don't code at all @Ganblejs .
    I may test run the app and offer suggestions and feedbacks. I think Gordon will want to keep the run app as is, simple and efficient, but will welcome a fork with advanced possibilities.
    There are a few things ahead of us. Defining heart rate zones (I spoke about it here) .
    Then organising a way to easily setup different runs.

• Ah, I see! Ideas, mockups and testing are certainly helpful anyways! You wouldn't by chance also be a scientific-papers-finding demon? 😉 If we could find one we like that's easy to just convert to an app I think that could speed up getting to a good place by quite much. Preferably one that's pretty step-by-step and specific about an implementation...

• I'm into scientific papers because I'm into a master's degree to become elearning project manager, but because I study, I have really little time for looking for docs for anything else :/ !

• Added a bunch of papers that could be of interest in the opening post.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Personal Trainer/Runners coach - auto adjusting workout planner

Posted by Avatar for Ganblejs @Ganblejs

Actions