• I've both the Bangle 1 and 2, and while I really like the 2's touchscreen, I've realised there is a case for buttons. Namely, when you're wearing gloves. So if there's ever to be a Bangle 3, it having buttons and a full touchscreen would be the way to go, I think. (Unless it'd accept voice-commands. :) )

• I forget where now, but there was a forum post with kind of a wish list for a new Bangle.js.

But yes, I'm with you on that - more physical buttons would be great. Of course the flip side of that is the more holes you have in the case, the harder waterproofing gets :)

... and yes, a microphone was requested too - but then it's really not waterproof

• You can always buy a new watch if you drop it in the water, but the wrong UI will still be the wrong UI! :) These are different considerations. With being able to replace the battery or not being yet another consideration.

What I'd really love though would be the Bangle phone. You've started at the smallest end of the chain. So going upwards should be easier than how we got to the current horrible state of affairs. Desktop > laptop > phone and tablet > watch. Going in the other direction should result in something better, and all running Espruino, of course!

• Absolutely get what you're saying about the touch-screen vs buttons debate! The struggle is real when it comes to choosing the right UI. And you nailed it – replacing a watch is one thing, but a clunky UI is forever! Also, the battery dilemma adds a whole new layer to the decision-making process.

Now, the Bangle phone idea sounds intriguing! Starting small and working our way up seems like a fresh perspective. The tech world could definitely use a shake-up. And Espruino all the way, right?

• I've been a long time pebble user, and the battery is finally starting to go. I've been looking for a good replacement as the open source phone software for rebble is getting more convoluted to install and get working with everything as Android versions get released.

The Pebble Time I have has 4 physical buttons and no touch screen, and while I love and adore it, it will be time to replace it soon. One feature with the base UX is that you can assign actions/applications to long press for each button. I have a couple of applications that I use every day that I like to assign to these buttons, along with the ability to quickly mute the vibrations if I need to.

For me, having a fully waterproof watch isn't a big deal, I don't tend to take them into the shower or go swimming with it, and if I fall in a lake, my watch will be the least of my worries! It's a nice to have for me, as long as the watch can survive being caught in the rain I'm happy. I would much rather have 3-4 physical buttons along side the touch screen. If that is coming for Bangle.js 3, it would definitely be a purchase from me.

• I think if I can get to the state where I can actually fully design a Bangle.js 3, 4 physical buttons plus touchscreen is definitely something I'll be looking at.

However I'm afraid that will be some way off - the current Bangle.js 2 does a lot of things right and I'm in no rush to replace it at the moment - I've got other Espruino powered devices I'd like to release first :)

• Yeah, I totally understand that. I'll see how my pebble holds out, but will likely get the v2 this year. Will keep my eye on the v3 announcement ;)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Thoughts on touch-screen vs buttons on smart-watches.

Posted by Avatar for CarlR @CarlR

Actions