• the default seems to be "off" and I wonder why that is

It's because at least initially it made it harder to connect sometimes - and for everyone that has a connection error that's one more person not having it work out of the box and asking for support :)

the combo minified module might be broken

You mean this? https://www.espruino.com/BLE+Keyboard#co­mbination

If it is, can you let me know for sure and what's wrong/what error you get and I'll look into it?

I'm not sure what you can do about the icon - I think if you're just a keyboard it'll work ok? So it might just be a side-effect of it trying to do two things at once.

In terms of security, I'd have said that NRF.setSecurity({passkey:"123456", mitm:1, display:1}); would be a good start, which should force the requirement for a secure connection. You'd probably also want to turn the UART service off completely

• Hey Gordon,

Thanks. I'll try these settings and will report (I guess I should drill a hole for the (reset)button as the first measure).

For the combo.js (yes, the one you linked) I got errors with a simple require (that the IDE would fetch) but things would work fine if I used the full URL to the unminified version and let the IDE do the minification. Great that this works that easy.
    So I suspected the minified version to have a problem, and looking at a few points inside the minified code it looks like there were some jumps or repetitions that make the code invalid. Though you never know what magical obfuscation might be at work.

What's the current recommended way to disable the UART? Since I still need to update the code now and then: To get it back I would have to implement my own switch, or would flashing new code still work and just the interactive console would be disabled? If so, can I disable reflashing-without-DFU in the end?

Nice to just pick up Espruino after a few years and it just works. An important point for the whole concept of Espruino. I know other frameworks that would need you to either keep up with their development the whole time (which is the opposite of tinkering) or relive the whole toolchain learning curve every time.

-Stev

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started