Basic functions (calls and messages)

Posted on
Page
of 2
/ 2
Next
  • I am new to the bangle.js 2. Had a Pebble before and just made the first watch face. Working with the emulator and the app store is really great and I like the fact that we can use Javascript. So the watch is great showing the watch face and all the widgets, but:
    Is it just me or is all the basic stuff a bit clunky? I am using Gadgetbridge. The Android Integration app shows blank screens.
    From the Pebble I am used to be able to reply on messages with short messages (presets) and being able to decline incoming calls. Also BlueMail does not display the whole Message but the subject only. And finally no emojis are displayed with the messages. Also when I receive a message, I need to press BTN1 three times to get rid of it.
    Is there anythng I can do to get my Pebble feeling back? :)

• The Android Integration app shows blank screens.

Do you have a screenshot? Once installed the Android app on your Bangle should display a menu showing connection status, Find Phone, and some other stuff. Are you sure your Bangle.js firmware is up to date (or at least at 2v13)?

I did notice an issue with messages on the development app loader (caused by something that had happened yesterday afternoon), but I didn't think that had gone live to banglejs.com/apps yet. Either way it's fixed now.

From the Pebble I am used to be able to reply on messages with short messages (presets)

This is something that could be added. The functionality is there in Gadgetbridge (I've just fixed it for Bangle.js), it just needs to be handled on the Bangle.js.

and being able to decline incoming calls.

This should work? I believe call notifications ended up broken in earlier Gadgetbridges, but 0.67 should have fixed that.

And finally no emojis are displayed with the messages.

Do you see anything at all? Like :smile: or similar?

If you're on the 'Bangle.js Gadgetbridge' app (https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com­.espruino.gadgetbridge.banglejs) then I just pushed an update that should enable this.

Is there anythng I can do to get my Pebble feeling back? :)

Well, if you feel something could be changed to improve it, please make some tweaks and do a Pull Request :) The whole thing is open so you can improve it however you want

• Hey,
    i experienced simular issues. but due to the last updates, most of the things are fixed. 😊

The Android Integration app shows blank screens.

Also had this issues. i updated the firmware version and all apps. Until now i din't had this issue again.

being able to decline incoming calls.

this is also fixed 😊

Also when I receive a message, I need to press BTN1 three times to get rid of it.

with the first one, you probably unlock your screen. you could configure it to eithe unlock when you liftup or rotate your arm. The other way would be in

Settings -> apps -> Messages -> Unlock Watch to true.

Then you have only the message and the message overview to get rid of.

The icons are not good implemented jet, yes. But they will become better 😊

Update: i just saw, that for the beta tester on playstore a new version was released today, where the emojis looks verry good. Thanks @Gordon

• I tried
    Android Integration (v0.11)
    and
    Bangle.Js Gadgetbridge 0.67.0c (looks like the Early Access Version from May 2022). Play Store wouldn't offer a later version. Can I download an APK somewhere?
    When I hit "debug" in the app to simulate a call, it shows "loading" and then a blank screen and the widgets on top.

• jap. the newer one is currently only for beta beta testers 😅.
    Think it will be available in the next days.
    Sadly, there isn't an apk to download

But most of the time (90% or so) the notifications from debug should work.
    Android integration v0.11 is good.
    What Messages Version are you ?
    And on what firmware version ? (you could check this on the Firmware Update "App".
    There you could also update to the newest one 😊

A different thing that comes to my mind is to compact the Storage.
    I am not sure if this helps but for me it did in the past for a few other topics.
    go to Settings -> Utils -> compact Storage

• Messages is 0.39.
    Firmware is 2v14.
    The thing is: Once the Android Integration is installed, with a message received, the Message App opens a blank screen - even after removal of Android Integration. When I re-install Messages and install the Gadgetbridge App, Messages will open just fine.

Edit: So, what I found out is that Messages will show "no Messages" instead of the blank Screen if I disconnect and reconnect Bluetooth on the Android device. So I'd love to test the new Android app version :)
    PS: I can re-produce it with the bangle.js2 after factory reset and only installing Android Integration

• Got the new App - nothing changed for me.
    I believe it's the Message app. The watch gets the messages from Gadgetbridge, but Messages just won't display them. Any idea how to debug that?

Debug log says:

____                 _ 
    |  __|___ ___ ___ _ _|_|___ ___ 
    |  __|_ -| . |  _| | | |   | . |
    |____|___|  _|_| |___|_|_|_|___|
             |_| espruino.com
     2v14 (c) 2021 G.Williams

>
    [JUncaught ReferenceError: "b" is not defined
     at line 4 col 221 in messages.app.js
    ...r b=!0}this.options.back&&!b&&Bangle.setUI­({mode:"custom",ba...
                                  ^
    in function "setUI" called from line 2 col 445 in messages.app.js
    ...this._l.c[1].c);this.setUI();var f=this;d(this._l);this.upda...
                                  ^
    in function "Layout" called from line 344 col 19 in messages.app.js
      ]},{back:goBack});
                      ^
    in function "showMessage" called from line 371 col 41 in messages.app.js
        return showMessage(newMessages[0].id);
                                            ^
    in function "checkMessages" called from line 440 col 118 in messages.app.js
    ...sic && settings.openMusic });
                                  ^
    in function called from system
    >

When I send

GB({"t":"notify","id":1575479849,"src":"­Hangouts","title":"A Name","body":"message contents"})

from the Emulator, the Message app just opens fine!
    But then, when I want to accept or decline a message, it shows

Uncaught Error: Function "a" not found!
     at line 1 col 2541 in messages.app.js
    a(this._l,b)
    ^
    > 

All this is super weird.

HA!
    In the Emulator (Chrome) I disabled Module Minification and now it seems to be working. Still testing.

• So, it runs fine, now. Although I am not sure how exactly I fixed it.

@Gordon I really like what you created - this pretty looks like bringing Pebble awesomeness back. Really appreciate your work.

• This is something that could be added. The functionality is there in Gadgetbridge (I've just fixed it for Bangle.js), it just needs to be handled on the Bangle.js.

That would be really great as I miss this so much. I guess the presets need to be added to Gadgetbridge as well then as configuring them would be a hassle.

• I guess the presets need to be added to Gadgetbridge as well then as configuring them would be a hassle.

That's true - although maybe it's not that bad to configure them via the app loader...

• @Gordon I still have issues with Emojis on Android with e.g. Whatsapp. A heart emoji is e.g. shown as a questionmark on the watch which leads to confusion from time to time :) Is there anything I can try out or is this a known issue?

• Are you using the 'Bangle.js Gadgetbridge' app? If so, go into the settings (the one next to the Bangle.js watch) and enable 'text as bitmaps'. That should now work fine to display emoji

• Awesome, seems to be working. Thanks!

• The emoji 🤭 is displayed as a skull. 😁

• That's odd - is it possible it just looks like it, because it's rendered quite small at only 3 bits per pixel?

• -deleted-

• Yes, maybe. But I've seen it larger at times. Is there a cance to have a minimum pixel size for icons that are shown as images, so they won't scale with the font?

• They don't scale with the font anyway, but I guess maybe in Gadgetbridge if you could detect if they were emoji then you could render those a bit bigger.

• Well, I might be wrong, but I think I saw a normal good size of an emoji when it was sent without additional text. When text is sent with the emoji, I cannot see what emoji exactly was sent because it's too small.

• I'm certain it's the same scaling either way:
    https://github.com/gfwilliams/Gadgetbrid­ge/blob/4c27f43fea07afe81f6b16abeeb0224b­6f1c9f14/app/src/main/java/nodomain/free­yourgadget/gadgetbridge/service/devices/­banglejs/BangleJSDeviceSupport.java#L667­

There's the same rendering code - it just changes whether it renders it in 3 bit or black and white

• Is there a way to display those emojis as font? How can I support that?

• I don't really understand the question... https://www.espruino.com/Fonts might help a little

This has been covered a few times on the forum but Espruino only supports strings/fonts for 256 characters, since they are based on bytes. We can't really support all of UTF8 anyway because the font would end up being huge and basically using up all the storage on the system.

You can use decodeUTF8 (http://www.espruino.com/Reference#l_E_de­codeUTF8) to 'patch' up specific UTF8 characters with a bitmap for that character (just add '0' infront of the bitmap string like in http://www.espruino.com/Reference#l_Grap­hics_drawString)

But... we don't send UTF8 from Gadgetbridge, we just send simple 8 bit strings. iOS does send UTF8 because we have no control of it so it works there.

• Ok sorry. I didn't find any posts about Fonts, probably because I searched for "emojis". Thank you for your reply!

• I can't get phonecalls to show up on my android phone, no matter which version of Gadgetbridge I use. Is there possibly something very obvious I am not seeing? I checked all the permissions and notifications, it should work (all the non-phone-call-stuff is showing up fine).

• Let's answer you on the other post you made: https://forum.espruino.com/conversations­/372673/#comment16917703

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Basic functions (calls and messages)

Posted by Avatar for Hank @Hank

Actions