You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Thanks! I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this, but personally I don't see a massive difference in readability between these two:

const layoutObj = <Vertical>
        <Label font="20%">JSX</Label>
        <Button col="blue">Maybe</Label>
    </Vertical>;
    // ... 
    const layout = { type: "v", c:[
      { type: "txt", font: "20%", label: "JSX"},
      { type: "btn", color: "blue", label:"maybe"}
    ]}

Because the Bangle is so constrained and the screen is small, you're never going to be able to have a lot of stuff in the Layout, so I really don't see a big benefit in this - and actually having a whole new syntax and parser that isn't JS and isn't quite JSX just for a few lines of code in a few apps seems like massive overkill, especially on Bangle.js 1 where we're starting to have to worry about how big the Espruino binary is so it'll fit in the available flash.

This is undoubtedly cool, but I just think for Bangle.js, it's too much. I guess if you really wanted you could add a plugin to EspruinoTools that detected JSX on the PC, parsed it and rewrote it into a JS object, but I'm conscious that much like the TypeScript support this will probably be something that gets added, used for one app, and then forgotten about.

A built in XML parser though? That would actually be useful for loads of people - especially with the HTTP request support added to Gadgetbridge

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started