• I see the Desktop Launcher has been modified so that left and right swipes now load the clock.

I feel this behaviour should be an option rather than default. I have done a PR for this as an option.

I much prefer left / right swipes to move between the pages of the launcher.
    The back button already has an option to exit the launcher and load the clock.

I've noticed a bit of a trend for everything to have a swipe left / right to load something else. These feels a bit redundant when you have apps like the pattern launcher which respond to any app and can be setup to load different apps through different swipe gestures. There is no longer the need to hard code swipe/load into apps as the pattern launcher is a far more configurable paradigm (in my opinion at least).

• I feel this behaviour should be an option rather than default. I have done a PR for this as an option.

Yes, I agree with that. I'll get it merged.

There's already the 'swipe launcher' app that should handle this I'd have thought? And if not, I bet it could easily be modified to do that.

Personally I much prefer the idea of installable apps that add functionality, rather than making every app include mostly unmaintained duplicates of all functionality.

• Just a clarification: on v0.12 it's not left and right swipes that load the clock, only left-to-right swipes.

Also, if there's already a way to get the functionality via apps "Swiper clock launch" and "Swipe back to the clock", does it make more sense to remove the showClock()-function (introduced in v0.12) altogether instead of introducing this option in settings?

• only left-to-right swipes.

Yes you are correct.

I have not objection to the idea as long as it can be disabled if not wanted. I have done a PR for that.

My personal favourite swiper tool is the pattern launcher which is totally configurable rather than being hard coded, limited to directions , bound to limited specific apps etc.

• I was just thinking, if like you and Gordon discuss above that the swipe-to-get-back-to-clock functionality can already be achieved through other more general means (other apps) is it then only unnecessary keeping this 'hard coded' way introduced in v0.12?

The main change in v0.12 was to go from LeftRight to UpDown swipes for moving between pages . The showClock()-function was more of a afterthought (I submitted the PR). So just removing that function from the code is also a possibility in my mind. I wasn't aware of the "Swiper clock launch" app before submitting the PR. :)

• I wasn't aware of the "Swiper clock launch" app before submitting the PR. :)

Check out:
    https://banglejs.com/apps/?id=ptlaunch
    Which is much more versatile, can load any app.

• I suspect it doesn't add the swipe-to-go-back-to-clock functionality though?

I might give ptlaunch a go, for now I don't think it's the experience I'm after. Quick launch + swiper clock launch is good enough for me I think.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Desktop Launcher v0.12 - left and right swipes now launch the clock

Posted by Avatar for HughB @HughB

Actions