You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Sorry for the delay replying here...

If your meter doesn't show you in any way, I guess your only way to be 100% sure about how much you're exporting is to put a clamp (CT?) meter onto the wire into your house. I think there are some DIY options around (like https://hackaday.com/2020/07/24/a-comple­te-raspberry-pi-power-monitoring-system/­) or you can get some with RS485/serial output.

The Pi option linked might be cool as I guess you could clamp a bunch of different wires (solar, grid, house, even certain mains circuits)

In terms of avoiding exporting, I know you can get immersion controllers that use a clamp meter to turn on the hot water immersion when there's too much solar power, that seems to be a good use.

Or there are always battery packs. I've actually just invested in some solar panels and a bunch of cheap LiFePO4 rack batteries, so in a few months I might have some more thoughts about how worthwhile that is!

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started