App edit etiquette

Posted on
  • Hi All,
    Is there any particular etiquette or rules to follow for editing someone elses app?

I've been using the pebble clock (I loved my pebble, the Bangle 2 is the only device that even comes close to it), and have made some changes to suit me better. I've been careful to hide my changes behind settings so as default it functions exactly as the original app did.

Should I push it through to the main app page, or contact the original author first, and if so how?

• You could grab the original author from the git log/github pull request. Personally I'd like to be notified if someone edits an app I wrote, e.g. by writing their name to the pull request with @username. But to be honest, I usually forget that.

The original author might be able to provide some information one did now have in mind when changing.

• Sounds like you've taken the precaution of keeping the app working as default and made all your improvements optional. In that case I'd say it's just to go for it...

Adding the @ for the original author to your commit message is a nice touch. That way they get a chance to review and possibly come up with suggestions on the implementation.

• As others have said, it's nice to try and mention the initial author in the PR, but especially if the app hasn't been changed in a whole, if you've made some changes I'd submit a PR for them anyway :)

• Thank you all, pull request submitted!
    And @Gordon, thank you in particular for a great watch! I'm looking forward to writing an app from scratch next!

• @Sir_Indy - I had a look at your changes and they look good to me.

I've done a lot of different clocks. I tend to only feel precious about the latest app/clock that I have built, as that becomes the one I use all the time. It feels silly to fork an app just to add a couple of small features that follow the general spirit and style of the original.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

App edit etiquette

Posted by Avatar for Sir_Indy @Sir_Indy

Actions