How do app .info files work?

Posted on
  • I've been looking at the TimerClock app. I don't know who wrote it, but I really like the integration of functionality, but I don't like the extra stopwatch/timer/alarm icons it adds to the launcher and app loader.

It appears the extra icons and entries are due to the three ".info" files in the project. I've manually deleted these files from my watch using the IDE and everything appears as I'd like.

My question is: given that everything appears to be OK, what problems have I missed/overlooked? Why would these files have been created in the first place?

• Eep - I didn't know that. They shouldn't be in the app really - info files are created by the app loader, and having them uploaded by the app may break things in the app loader itself.

Why would these files have been created in the first place?

I think I was talking to the author via GitHub last week (I can't find the conversation now). But they added the apps inside the single clock because they didn't like the way it took around 1 second to switch apps and they wanted to load them faster by loading without going through Bangle.js.

However looking at the code, that's exactly what they are doing (using load) so there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't all be separate apps - the load time is identical.

• I think I was talking to the author via GitHub last week (I can't find the conversation now). But they added the apps inside the single clock because they didn't like the way it took around 1 second to switch apps and they wanted to load them faster by loading without going through Bangle.js.

FYI: We talked about those loading times, but that was about the calendar (and soon music control) feature of Clockcal

• OK, so it seems deleting the .info files is the correct thing to do. My work-in-progress is currently at https://andrewgoz.github.io/Authentiwatc­h/?id=timerclk

I'll review what I've done tonight and hopefully make a PR.

• Great, thanks! I guess maybe they should actually be separate apps in their own right?

Ahh @Micha_home maybe I'm getting confused - sorry!

• For me, the point of TimerClock was that it integrates into what looks like a single app all the various functions. At least I'm hoping that's what the original author (Bela) intended...

Anyway, I've just made a PR.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

How do app .info files work?

Posted by Avatar for andrewg_oz @andrewg_oz

Actions