• RAM

It's been asked a few times and realistically it's not so much about malware...

Bangle.js tears down and rebuilds everything when you change apps, and it's done that way to try and get the most out of available RAM. Bangle.js 2 has a lot more RAM than 1 so it's less of a problem, but even so if data can easily be persisted I can imagine many widget developers would take the easy option and just use RAM rather than trying to save state.

Other thing is even a small memory leak would make the whole watch unusable - and I spend so much of my time right now trying to debug issues people are having with their watches I'm not sure I can face having another source of potential issues to look into :)

There are apps that write state to flash using the onKill() event hook. I dont think a few writes a day to flash is going to massively reduce the life of the watch.

Yes, that's what I'd suggest. The filesystem uses journalling so actually the amount of 'rewrites' you watch will actually do is extremely small.

Or is it a situation where the upstream manufacturer just uses whatever 8MB chip they can find that day

I think so, yes. Potentially the flash ID could be read out the chip but I don't think it's really that worthwhile.

• Yeah, that reasoning makes sense. And I think you do a good job managing RAM. That's actually why I came here from Wasp OS.

The filesystem uses journalling so actually the amount of 'rewrites' you watch will actually do is extremely small.

That's good. I'm still going to try to reduce my calls to storage.writeJSON as much as I can, but it's good that I don't have to worry.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started