Very high flash memory usage on the BangleJS 2

Posted on
  • Hello,

I got an issue with flash memory usage on the BangleJS 2.
    The usage increase a lot, first slowly then faster and faster after ~2 weeks it show the "Low memory" error and the storage space left get to less than 3000.
    I already made a factory reset and reinstall my apps and the issue is still there.
    I just rebooted my watch and it got from a free storage of 5169 to 5045 after the reboot.
    I looked at the files on the watch with the web IDE to see if it wasn't an app using all available space and none of the files I can see (some I deleted to check still) can explain this storage usage. Any idea ?

Firmware: 2.12
    Apps:

• Lock Widget
    • Battery Level Widget
    • Bluetooth Widget
    • Bluetooth ID Widget
    • Health Tracking
    • Default Alarm & Timer
    • Settings
    • Anton Clock
    • Launcher
    • Fullscreen Notifications
    • Info
    • Navigation Compass
    • Pomodoro
    • Spirit Level
    • Android Integration
    • Sleep Log
    • RAM Widget
    • Bootloader
    • Terminal Clock
    All to the latest version

• Hi - if you're getting a "Low memory" error (the red message at the bottom of the screen?) then that's actually low RAM rather than low flash memory.

It's to do with the apps/widgets that are currently running rather than the total number of devices.

Are all your apps up to date? Because there was an issue I fixed last week or so where the Messages app could end up using more and more memory if you had a 'new message' icon shown in the top left and the clock kept forcing a redraw of the widgets (which I guess the terminal clock could)

• I don't have the low memory message issue anymore (I though I would have it when the storage lowered more). If it came from the ram I don't understand it because the ram widget told me it was bellow 15% usage.
    I still have the storage issue. Right now I can see with the info app that I have 1512 free storage for a total of 8192.

All my apps are up to date.

• Ahh, ok, if it's from the info app that'll be storage.

Please can you go to Settings -> Utils -> Compact and see if that fixes it?

Failing that you can connect with the Web IDE and paste the following code in to the left-hand side:

print(require("Storage").list().map(f=>r­equire("Storage").read(f).length.toStrin­g().padStart(7)+" - "+f).sort());

It'll list all files sorted by size and you can see what's taking up the space

• Compacting storage worked, thanks. I got from ~1300 free storage to 7931.

It's quite weird. I used your command before and after compacting the storage then made a diff between the two result and there is no differences

• I think that is expected - compacting performs an internal cleanup of the filesystem, it should not change any of the actual files.

• compacting performs an internal cleanup of the filesystem, it should not change any of the actual files.

Yes, this. There are some tools in new builds to check up on the status, but basically compaction just removes deleted files. Think of it like it's emptying the wastebasket on your PC.

• Ok thanks to you two :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Very high flash memory usage on the BangleJS 2

Posted by Avatar for Stiralbios @Stiralbios

Actions