Bangle2: incorrect time after weekend

Posted on
Page
of 2
Prev
/ 2
  • This morning the screen was "strange": is this expected?

Not really - it could be a bug though as the 'log' option isn't well tested. That's what you'd generally get with Debug set to 'show'.

Do you get anything recorded in the log file?

• No freezing since the factory reset, I hope the problem has been resolved for good :-D

Do you get anything recorded in the log file?

Last time I checked there was only the Espruino logo.

• It happened one more time. No new apps/widgets installed since the factory reset of 10 days ago. In the log file there's only the Espruino logo.

Does it only happen to her?

• I had this problem too: (today)
    I am using my own watchface, but I also encountered this with the stock watchface.

I am on 2.12.89 with >50 battery

1. time frozen (i think)
    2. didnt react to tap
    3. didnt react to short button press
    4. didnt react to 2 seconds button press
    5. didnt react to Gadgetbridge find my watch
    6. did react to disconnect (via gadgetbridge). After that, it was usable again.

I think there multiple issues in this thread:
    -Clock offset multiple minutes (but still updating)
    -Watch not responsive to touch/buttons
    -Watch completely frozen (no Bluetooth)

In case of the nonresponsive watch, the watchface shouldn't make a difference... Unless it is completely broken and someone bricks the event-handling.

If I ever encounter this problem again, I will try to disconnect GB and do some tests with the IDE. But if I remember correctly, my watch DID react to my GB-Disconnect by buzzing. (I have that feature in my watchface) I think I even got the debug line "<- Bluetooth" that offset my whole screen :)
    Unfortunately, even though it happened ~5 minutes ago, I don't remember the important details:

• was the clock running behind or frozen?
    • was the clock updating after the disconnect? Was it behind?
    • was the button/touch/twist responsive after the disconnect?
      All I can tell is, that after the reconnect, everything was back to normal. (no reboot!)

In two weeks, this was the third time of a nonresponsive watch. The first two times, I was very busy setting it up, switching between apploader, IDE and GB. So I didn't really notice and it was gone in a second after reconnecting.

• Ok, thanks - am I right in thinking that you were using Gadgetbridge too @Alessandro? I guess it could somehow be related to that?

• Yes, my wife and I use Gadgetbridge (only for Messages app).

Unfortunately when her watch freezes she simply reboot the watch (she doesn't want to stay hours with the clock stuck at 9:17) so I cannot tests xD

• Ok, thanks - well, at least it gives me something to go by. Does she tend to get a lot of notifications?

• She says an average of 5/10 notifications.

• Per day? That's not a great deal...

• Sorry no, I meant per "session". While at work she only looks the notifications on the bangle (no mark as read/dismiss etc.) and she reads the messages on the phone only during breaks. So between the breaks she has 5/10 (or more) notifications.

• I seem to be able to reproduce the "clock does not update but watch works fine otherwise" error by repeatedly connecting/disconnecting the watch via gadgetbridge on my phone.
    The clock stops updating, but the watch still responds to button and bluetooth. I see a "CALLBACK" message in red on the bottom of the screen.

• I know, there is no indication that this is the problem, but I executed an infinite loop function via webIDE-console yesterday and got essentially my "watch-not-updating-or-responding-to-sho­rt-presses"-problem. After disconnecting and reconnecting bluetooth, the watch was back to normal.

• Just experienced the frozen watch again:

• After switching from webIDE(pc) to GB(phone), the clock stopped updating. (no reaction to tap, twist, button,...)
    • No "find my watch", no messages could trigger anything, but still GB showed a connected watch. Even after some minutes.
    • After disconnecting in GB -> still nothing.
    • After reconnecting in GB -> everything back to normal.
  • I executed an infinite loop function via webIDE-console yesterday

Thanks! I just checked and it seems the short-press won't break out of executing JS. I've just pushed some changes to the latest cutting edge firmwares, so if you try those now then you can hold the home button to get out of infinite loops.

While it won't fix the clock updating I'd be really interested to see if when the Bangle breaks, it now allows you to go back to the menu with a long-press without totally resetting the watch. If that's the case it'll just be some JS on the watch that was in an infinite loop.

Just experienced the frozen watch again:

Thanks - Is that at all reproducible? Interestingly when you connect, GB sends a Ctrl-C character which would break out of executing code, so if this were some JavaScript code on the watch that's actually locking up, it would make sense.

I feel like we're getting there... If this does allow a short-press to reset the watch then I can add something to the firmware that detects if some JS code has been busy for more than 60 sec, and if so breaks out of it with a stack trace. Then, we can not only stop this from happening again, but can also figure out what code is causing the problem.

• Update, it just happened to my Bangle!

I cannot reboot (broken button) but the moment I disconnected the Bangle from GadgetBridge the clock unfreezed itself.

• Ok, thanks - that's very interesting... I don't suppose you noticed when it actually happened? Like was it at the point that your phone received a notification?

And the watch started working when you disconnected Gadgetbridge and not when you reconnected it?

• I don't suppose you noticed when it actually happened?

Nope, I noticed it after ~20 minutes :-/

Like was it at the point that your phone received a notification?

I do not think so but cannot be 100% sure.

And the watch started working when you disconnected Gadgetbridge and not when you reconnected it?

Exactly. Then the Bangle reconnected without any problems.

• Thanks - that's really interesting

In Settings -> Apps -> Android please could you try setting 'Keep Msgs' to 'Yes'?

If it happens again, and you then cannot recover by disconnecting Gadgetbridge, that would really help to narrow it down

• In Settings -> Apps -> Android please could you try setting 'Keep Msgs' to 'Yes'?

Ok, done, I'll keep you updated!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle2: incorrect time after weekend

Posted by Avatar for Alessandro @Alessandro

Actions