Bangle.js 2 app loader connection issues

Posted on
  • Just started playing around with my Bangle.js 2, and I've been loading it up with some apps. I use an iPhone so I installed the iOS app which also installed the messages app. With these apps installed the Bangle pairs with my phone keeps a persistent bluetooth connection.

The issue that I'm running into is that with this persistent connection the app loader doesn't show my Bangle when I use the "Connect" button. I'm wondering if anyone might have insight on where the issue lies with this. Is it in the iOS/Messages app for the Bangle, or is it in the app loader? I'd be more than happy to mess around with the code on my end and see what I can get working.

EDIT: Digging into it a little more, I'm wondering if it has something to do with this function. It looks like this is doing a discovery of new devices, but it's not considering devices that might already be connected. Does that track?

• You need to disconnect before connecting to the App Loader...

• Interesting, I didn't see that anywhere in the documentation or in the getting started video. I may put a PR in for the documentation to add that note somewhere.

• Do you know why I have to disconnect before using the app loader? Looking at the documentation, it doesn't seem that the way that's working is super intentional:

you just need to select Bangle.js 2 when prompted (or from the drop-down in the top left)

Seems like it would be nice to make the app reflect that functionality, even if the watch is paired for notifications.

• Basically, the watch can only do one connection at a time.

• That makes sense, and thanks for all the information. Do you know if this applies to apps as well? Like if I've got a Bangle app that's using the bluetooth connection, will I no longer receive push notifications until I exit the app and re-pair it to my phone?

• I may put a PR in for the documentation to add that note somewhere.

Yes, please do! There's also the wiki...

This is expected at the moment. But... while the Bangle can only have one incoming connection at a time, generally Web Bluetooth webpage can 'share' the connection even when the phone is already connected (on Android, Windows, Mac OS, etc). I believe the issue is the WebBLE app isn't allowing you to select pre-connected devices.

I just filed an issue at https://github.com/daphtdazz/WebBLE/issu­es/49 and maybe David (the developer) will be able to do something to get it working - but he is pretty busy at the moment so I wouldn't expect anything soon.

Do you know if this applies to apps as well? Like if I've got a Bangle app that's using the bluetooth connection, will I no longer receive push notifications until I exit the app and re-pair it to my phone?

It depends what the app is doing... Bangle.js can have one incoming and one outgoing connection at a time. So you can have it connected to an iPhone and a bluetooth heart rate monitor for instance (or scanning for devices) and everything is fine.

• Thanks a ton for the explanation, that makes perfect sense. I put a PR in for the documentation update.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle.js 2 app loader connection issues

Posted by Avatar for Chopstick @Chopstick

Actions