Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor (add an on/off option)

Posted on
  • Hi nice folks,
    I've been using this app (Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor) successfully with an external HRM: the Polar OH1+: works great without any tweaking. This device is popular amongst runners as it goes on the arm (or legs) with a band and is super close to the precision of a chest strap (without the annoyance). Still, after the effort, I take the band out and I switch back to the usual wrist HRM by deleting the app, but then I need to reinstall it for the next run. And I run 4 times a week. Anyone would know how to add an on/off option in the code of the app ?
    If there's a large set of people interested in using this watch for running, then maybe this option should be moved directly to "settings" with a HRM option showing "on/off/external".

• Hi - that sounds like a great idea. Sorry - I should have added that one from the start!

I've just filed an issue for it at https://github.com/espruino/BangleApps/i­ssues/1074

I'll try and look when things calm down later this week, but if you want to have a go yourself, it's basically this tutorial you want: https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js+App+S­ettings

So you add a settings menu like that, then right at the start of https://github.com/espruino/BangleApps/b­lob/master/apps/bthrm/boot.js you check the settings and if it's not enabled you return rather than executing any of the code there

• @Gordon: Got the bthrm update from dev app store today.
    Like very much what I see in the changelog (especially RR).
    Unfortunatly somehow 0.05 broke the app for me. No more connection to polar H10.
    After going back to 0.04 connection is back again.

• Bug is found and pull request is open ;)

You can try here: https://halemmerich.github.io/BangleApps­/#bthrm

• Ah, that is what I call a really impressive reaction time: -7h ;-)
    Thanks
    And sorry for the wrong attribution. Thanks for the app!
    (Test needs to wait until tomorrow)

• Attribution is not that wrong, Gordon created the intial version of this app. I think he will merge on Monday, so some time left for testing and improving the pull request ;)

• Working again :-) I see connection and HR recorded with recorder app.

How would I test the new functionality?
    bthrv file is existent but empty:
    Time,10s,20s,30s,60s,120s,300s,RR_max,RR­_min,Measurements
    hrv app doesn't work, but that is to be expected as H10 doesent provide HRV as far as I now.
    RR should be available though (https://github.com/polarofficial/polar-b­le-sdk)

And another feedback: the settings arent clear to me:
    if only use bt hrm is selected I see both in the app and in the recording,
    if both options are selected bt is no longer shown???

• Nice job @halemmerich ! You're super quick !
    The BTHRM is a very important complement to the job done in the run and recorder app right now.

• HRV is calculated from RR intervals, so it should work. The BTHRV app waits for the first RR interval to be received and then buzzes ands starts keeping measurements in memory. For my belt (Wahoo TICKR X2) it takes 10-15s before anything happens, the first RR intervals get send a decent bit after the first pulse measurements. Currently the data is only written at once when the 300s measurement is complete. Maybe not a bad idea to write as the data becomes available. If you see RR values in BTHRM app, it should definitely work.

As for the behaviour with the different settings: It got a bit complex now :) I think about defining modes that encapsulate all settings in fitting combinations.

HRV app uses BT event and should work with every setting combination as long Use BT HRM is on. BTHRM app shows internal and external sensor when Replace HRM is off. If it is on, then both event types (HRM and BTHRM) normally contain the same data (both from BT sensor). Fallback to HRM decides if with the internal sensor will be enabled on disconnect. In that case, the values of HRM and BTHRM can differ, BTHRM will not be shown on disconnect, HRM enabled, then after some time BTHRM will reconnect and reappear again. Internal sensor and BT values can then mix for the Fallback timeout time as both events are emitted as HRM events.

• Ok, just didn't wait long enough - .bthrv is only written after 300sec.
    Can confirm everything looks good. See data in recorder file also.
    Get RR and HRV for polar H10 (not Contact and BT Battery though)

• the Polar OH1+:

Do you have a link to a cheep source for these. The ones I saw on Amazon were £75.
    Would be good to get the Bangle HRM sorted out.

• Polar OH1+: works great without any tweaking.
    is super close to the precision of a chest strap (without the annoyance)

Are you after the "works great without tweaking" or "without the annoyance of cheststrap"?
    If first then you can go for H10 also, which should be one of the most precise. It can also send medical grade ECG. Will see if I can manage to store those with bangle.

• As @Mi said there are other models that work pretty well.
    I waited for the new model to come (polar verity sense) to buy 2nd hand the previous model. I bought it on leboncoin.fr a French website like craig's list.
    Was able to find one for 50 euros 1 year ago. There's a test video

on youtube that convinced me to get this model.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor (add an on/off option)

Posted by Avatar for Fteacher @Fteacher

Actions