You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Its purpose is to say, if we dont have activity above this threshold then dont look for steps. Setting too low you overcount, too high and you undercount

Is there a way to change the threshold from the Bangle? Or a way to temporarily disable the steps counter? E.g. before lunch I swept the garden sidewalk and the Bangle (but Mi Band also) counted over 100 steps but I was "standing" in place.

• No. Counting steps when making a rythmic forwards and backwards motion is a standard way to fool all step counters. I can make any step counter count steps by holding the watch in my hand and flicking it backwards and forwards about once per second. The amount of gravitation force when moving , arms swinging and head bobbing up and down will be very similar to a sweeping or mowing motion. This is why for really accurate distance measurements the GPS is used in most smart watches for sporting activities etc.

• Counting steps when making a rythmic forwards and backwards motion is a standard way to fool all step counters.

I know it, which is why sometimes I would like to (temporarily) stop the step counter. I'd like press a "pause counter" button, swept the garden sidewalk and then press a "unpause counter" button :-D

Is it technically possible to develop a js app that does this?

Today I wore both a Bangle2 and a Mi Band 5 on the same arm.

Before the treadmill: Bangle2 1683 vs Mi Band 1046 steps.

After 2 Km on the treadmill: 3557 vs 3480 so the Bangle counted 1874 vs 2434 steps.

(I read that small and short activities are ignored by Mi Band by design, e.g. I walk from study to kitchen, pause, and then from kitchen to study: Bangle counted 10+11 steps vs 0 by Mi Band).

I attached the log of the treadmill walk, hope it helps!

About