Coding an app for running and cycling ?

Posted on
Page
of 2
Prev
/ 2
  • Awesome! Thanks for evaluating the state of the art!
    I think the navigation stuff is out of scope, there is already an app for Open Street Map if I remember correctly.

• I've just committed a simple Running app that does pace+cadence. It's basically a simpler replacement for BangleRun that runs on Bangle.js2

https://espruino.github.io/BangleApps/#r­un

Could be worth a look as a base for other apps...

• You're too quick @Gordon, do you sleep?
    It looks good, I will definitely use some of this. Thanks for pointing it out.

• As @myownself said, let's restart here. I do agree with last @HughB 's suggestions in the run app review thread. I think we need to reduce the number of infos on the 1st screen, 6 infos, it's a bit too much. My old garmin allows for 3 (whereas it could accomodate more). 4 would allow for a good use of the square screen.
    Also RUN ++ is a good idea as a name: it makes the aim of the app clear and still underlines its lineage. But as coders, this is your privilege to name it :).
    Will happily test any v0.0.0001a alpha.

• Just posted on the app review thread but I've got a beta version of the run app where you can change what's shown now: http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­371899/?offset=50#comment16372149

I'll merge it when everyone's ok with the format. Once that's done there's a library you can use from your specific app to get all the relevant stats - so then all you have to worry about it making sure it looks good and is easy to use :)

• Hey @myownself don't give up on your app ! Gordon's job has been a great step forward, but I think it also paves the way for you to develop. Besides the libraries, you may actually also reuse his layout for the part you're coding, no ? We're a few ones waiting for this to happen. I don't want to be pushy, on the opposite, I want to encourage you !
    At the beginning of this thread I was thinking this run++ app should show some data about the run at the end of it (when the " stop" button is hit), maybe it's the recorder app that should handle that, what do you think ? I'm mostly thinking about average HR, average speed, distance and elapsed time (potentially more stuff, like max HR/speed, calories burnt, if some other people are into it, but it's more of fitness tracking datas than sports datas, even though there's a bit of overlap here). I don't know who made the recorder app, maybe it's again Gordon...

• @Gordon I've tested the run app. I downloaded agps, went outside, started the recorder and the run app. It took less than 15 seconds to get the gps fix.

• The "distance" item didn't work. It showed 0 meters all the way long (the recorder app found distance though).
    • "pace now" is expressed in kms/minutes, is it possible to have a speed item (expressed in kms/h) ?
    • the bar in the number 0 reduces readability, another font for numbers ?
      -As I know I need only 4 boxes, I'll try to find out how to modify the app just for me and increase the font size of the numbers displayed. There's enough space in my setup to accomodate a much larger font size.
      In an ideal world, 2 boxes, 4 boxes or 6 boxes, by triggering a different layout would also trigger a different font size, but that opposes the simple code approach.
      Also Gordon, thanks for the answers you gave me along different threads, I appreciate very much, I just don't have anything to add to your answers.
  • Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Coding an app for running and cycling ?

Posted by Avatar for Fteacher @Fteacher

Actions