You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I read a variety of papers, most of them did not demonstrate test results for non stepping activities; such as driving, sleeping, sitting at a desk. From experiments I came to the conclusion that anyone can think they have built a step counter that counts steps well when walking but 95% of the problem is coming up with one that does not count when driving, sitting, moving a mouse etc etc. Any paper that does not cover how to differentiate between activities or tests for non step activities probably is suspect. The Oxford step counter looked good on paper, the technical paper looked impressive but the results were actually pretty bad under a balanced test regime.

The easiest way to start is to do the work in Javascript, then you can quickly prototype ideas and dont have to compile and flash firmware. If you read this whole thread you will see some sample code I wrote in javascript which Gordon converted to C. I then tweaked the C and tested against various accelerometer logs that I recorded of known step counts. The link you posted above came back 404. The test harness Gordon developed for Bangle is at:
    https://github.com/gfwilliams/step-count­

• The link you posted above came back 404. The test harness Gordon developed for Bangle is at:
    https://github.com/gfwilliams/step-count­

I had added an extra dot to the URL by mistake, but I was apparrently confused about which of the test harnesses was the test harness (there are two discussed in the forum, and working backwards through the posts the one I came to was the one I found first).

The easiest way to start is to do the work in Javascript

Maybe, but if I'm going to prototype I may as well prototype in any language. As far as I know the test harness(es) only exist in C, so it is write in C or create my own test environment for another language (and if I'm doing that, it may as well be Python).

Someone has kindly sent me the paper I linked to, so I will read that later and see what it brings.

About