Messages handling JS2

Posted on
  • Hi,
    It seems that the Messages App buttons don't have any impact, messages stay in the notification area of the phone no matter what I do. I have also installed the Android Integration App and it is not clear if that is compatible. (Samsung S21 running Android 12). Or is it Gadgetbridge that is limiting this?
    Another thing I noticed is that both the headers as the messages are truncated and I cannot scroll to read the full message. Is this something that can be improved?
    My Pebble allowed standard replies, is this a feature that will be coming in the future too?
    Lastly, our company uses OKTA Verify, it would be great if the button of messages could confirm the login attempt so I do not need to unlock the phone for this anymore.
    Thanks

• I may be wrong, but I don't think anything you do on the Bangle (eg read/delete messages) will reflect on the phone. It didn't do that on Pebble either. As far as my limited understanding goes, the integrations are one-way, phone –> watch, only.

• You need 'Android Integration' and 'Messages' on the Bangle - but not the Gadgetbridge app.

I cannot scroll to read the full message. Is this something that can be improved?

Yes, there's a GitHub issue for it somewhere - it may be you end up tapping to get the message fullscreen + scrollable or something like that.

My Pebble allowed standard replies, is this a feature that will be coming in the future too?

Yes - this should work - the messages app just has to send {t:"notify", id:int, n:"REPLY", msg:"My reply"} - it's just not in messages yet. Again it's on my list of things to add.

Lastly, our company uses OKTA Verify, it would be great if the button of messages could confirm the login attempt so I do not need to unlock the phone for this anymore.

I think you could likely add this feature yourself by sending the correct message to Gadgetbridge when you detect the message type come in... The format of messages received is in http://www.espruino.com/Gadgetbridge

... so a lot of this is on my to-do list and will get done next year, it's just that right now I'm firefighting. I spent at least 6 hours today just answering emails, PMs, Kickstarter comments, messages, etc so it leaves very little time for actual improvements :(

• the Messages App buttons don't have any impact

Missed this - that is a bug - they should do. Bangle.js can send the commands "DISMISS,DISMISS_ALL/OPEN/MUTE/REPLY back, but I wonder whether it's currently sending the wrong ones

• Thanks @Gordon,
    I appreciate all the hard work you put in!

• Hi @ajkm,
    Pebble does work two-way and actually most smartwatches do.
    With Pebble I can even send a reply using speech to text (using rebble.io)
    I am hoping that some day the Bangle.js3 will arrive with a microphone ;-)

• Pebble never worked two-way with the iPhone, so sending messages was not an option - perhaps with the exception of AT&T subscribers.

I don't see myself ever wanting to talk to my watch; if I can't (or don't want to) get my phone out, they can leave a message for me to reply to at my convenience later!

• I am using Android. I guess that had more options.
    I use the speech to text only while on my bicycle or when driving. Not very often but has been useful a few times.

• Yep, Android in the US always had more possibilities.

• Bangle.js can send the commands "DISMISS,DISMISS_ALL/OPEN/MUTE/REPLY back, but I wonder whether it's currently sending the wrong ones

From a bit of quick testing, it looks like it's sending the correct commands but it's not including the notification id in the response object.

Edit: I created a pull request to fix the issue: https://github.com/espruino/BangleApps/p­ull/1077

• Hey Gordon,
    I probably speak for a lot of people here in saying that "DONT BURN OUT!"
    You're doing excellent, fast work and the watch works great. Make sure you take care of yourself!

• Huh. There's a lot of text on the forums that talks about gadgetbridge, and I get that this is out-of-date. But even having successfully installed the Android app on the bangle.js2, and the Messages app there as well, and having ensured that it's paired with my phone and that the Android app reports "Connected: Yes", I still cannot get the bangle to even note that any events have occurred at the phone. Phone receives text? Bangle says No Messages. I'd suspect there should be some sort of bridge required running at the phone--something to notice that there were notifications, and forward them to the watch--but I'm unclear what that would be.

Cleaning up the old-and-no-longer-relevant gadgetbridge text, and adding a walk-through for how to configure this, would be a big help.

• Hey Lertulo,
    You have to have GadgetBridge installed on your phone and Android + Messages on your Bangle. You then have to connect GadgetBridge to the watch (you can't be connected to the watch on the app loader at the same time).

Once you do these things, it will show notifications but you can't action them yet.

• Specifically, on your phone you want to install the F-Droid version of GadgetBridge from https://f-droid.org/packages/nodomain.fr­eeyourgadget.gadgetbridge/

• @Lertulo which Gadgetbridge text are you referring to?

@NebbishHacker thank you for this! It's now merged and will go like on banglejs.com/apps later today. I should have spotted than one when I did it :)

@andiohn thanks! I appreciate it! Must admit I'm feeling pretty shattered, but I do intend to take some time off over Christmas. Given it takes me most of Monday just to go through the emails I got over the weekend I'm not looking forward to coming back after 2 weeks off!

• Given it takes me most of Monday just to go through the emails I got over the weekend I'm not looking forward to coming back after 2 weeks off!

Ah just make a new forum, call it "answer gordon emails" and we will take care of it for you. No unread mails in your inbox after the time off AND everyone emailing you has gotten a reply from a human being. Sounds like a win win situation if you ask me.

• Given it takes me most of Monday just to >go through the emails I got over the >weekend I'm not looking forward to >coming back after 2 weeks off!

Maybe point everyone to the Forums.

Bangle 2 is looking great @Gordon.

• Lertulo which Gadgetbridge text are you referring to?

Well, let's see. On https://banglejs.com/apps/, there's a reference here:

Android Integration
    Display notifications/music/etc from Gadgetbridge on Android. This replaces the old Gadgetbridge widget.

I get that we're talking about an old Gagetbridge widget, not a now-deprecated phone-side app, but you can imagine how a n00b like myself might be confused.

On the same site, try clicking on the Info button for the Messages app. It says this:

This app handles the display of messages and message notifications. It stores a list of currently received messages and allows them to be listed, viewed, and responded to.

It is a replacement for the old notify/gadgetbridge apps.

So, this says it's a replacement for an older gadgetbridge app. That reinforces the idea that Gadgetbridge is now defunct.

So someone curious about Gadgetbridge and its history might continue scrolling down in banglejs.com/apps to find an entry for Gadgetbridge itself. And it's there, and says:

(NOT RECOMMENDED) Handles Gadgetbridge notifications from Android. This is now replaced by the 'Android' app.

Thus, it's pretty clear why someone might just assume Gadgetbridge is no longer needed.

And of course there's the fact that "gadgetbridge", as a name, is unfortunately identical to an existing in-app-store Android app--one that is basically a newsreader, and has nothing to do with Bangle or Espruino.

So then I'd look for a tutorial or getting started page that walks through the steps necessary to hook these things up, and... well, I grant that I'm distracted and have little time to dedicate to the search, but I'm not seeing anything. So I appreciate the responses in this thread, but can I suggest that this is probably a fairly common goal for someone picking up one of these nifty devices, and might benefit from a write-up from someone who knows the steps?

• Yes it is confusing to have an Android App called Gadgetbrige and a Bangle 2 widget called Gadgetbrige, as you don't know which one people mean,
    which is why I suspect the app is now called Android or iOS integration.

• Ok, I've tried to update the text a little more to make it clearer - but if anyone can think of a less confusing way of explaining please issue a PR for it!

• Hi there,

I'm not sure if it's good to put this in this thread, but I was afraid to open a new one. If no one answers, I will open a new one :)

I just wanted to ask, if bangle can recognize "shaking". The Pebble once had an app that displayed messages and you were able to "shake them off" your wrist. I would like this behavior in the messages app and would try to implement it myself. But I'm new to bangle and anything with accelerometer, so I wanted to ask if recognizing "shaking" is already available.
    I read about "gestures" but that seemed too sophisticated for what I have in mind.

• It definitely could do.
    You could follow the gestures tutorial, but as you say if you only care about the shaking and not any specific direction etc., you probably could do it without any machine learning involvement just by looking for a sudden burst of accelerometer "noise" (for want of a better word).

• Yeah, using machine learning for this seems overkill to me as well (I wrote the tutorial referred to above ).

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Messages handling JS2

Posted by Avatar for Ocim @Ocim

Actions