• along with wondering if there is some sort of theme API for default colours

Yes - g.theme / g.setTheme:)

Should there be some way for the app to control how much space is available for widgets?

Yes and no. I think usually we want apps just to be able to find out easily. But as hinted at, an app will be able to change Bangle.drawWidgets to allow widgets to be drawn wherever it wants.

I can imagine a case where mostly you want the widgets in the normal place, but a clock may want to relocate them somewhere fancy.

clearRect -x2/y2

yes, it's a good point - and very common. I feel like some things may expect width and height but it's not a big deal for me to have x,y,w,h,x2,y2 in there?

bottom widget bar

Yes, it's a point that not much stuff uses (or supports!) it. It might be worth removing. What does everyone think?

setWidgetHeight / precalculate its draw area

My concern with this is I can see cases where someone might want to do something a bit different - maybe moving all widgets to the bottom, to left of the screen, or even putting some in the middle and making them bigger.

• Yes - g.theme / g.setTheme:)

Thanks - I knew I'd seen something somewhere, but couldn't remember. g.setTheme is not documented?

BTW, the example data structure for g.theme repeats fg/bg instead of referring to fg2/bg2/fgH/bgH.

I can see cases where someone might want to do something a bit different

I know it's tempting to try to be as flexible as possible, but there is also value in enforcing consistency. In this case, using my phone as an example, status widgets have only ever appeared at the top, and I've never felt they needed to appear anywhere else :)

I also don't think there is a good reason to have variable-sized widgets. What if some authors can't be bothered to implement support for variable sizes? If they do, will they need to supply multiple-sized images if they use images? What if there's a mix of variable and fixed-size? It seems overly complicated to me. I say - put your foot down and set the size at 24! ;-)

About

Avatar for andrewg_oz @andrewg_oz started