How to just upload data using the App Loader

Posted on
  • I started to write a virtual app to update the shopping list of the Grocery app:
    https://github.com/avanc/BangleApps/treeĀ­/master/apps/grocery_sync

No app shall be installed on the device but just data updated. However, there is no type for this and the current version also adds an entry in the app list on the device.

Are there any ideas how to solve this? I saw that the app assistedgps does something similar. However, only data is written into RAM.

• Hi, that's great! I think you're spot on with what assistedgps does.

All you need to do is have type:"RAM" in the apps.json file, and then when you call sendCustomizedApp in your custom.html instead of doing:

sendCustomizedApp({
                storage:[
                  {name:"RAM", content:js},
                ]
              });

which is what assistedgps does, you can call:

sendCustomizedApp({
                storage:[
                  {name:"grocery.app.js", url:"app.js", content:app}
                ]
              });

It seems to be pretty much what you're doing already, so I think the trick is the type:"RAM" bit.

Having said that, the grocery app seems to store all its product data inside the app. It'd actually be better if it was stored as a separate JSON file. It'd be pretty straightforward - for instance see simpletimer - but if you need a hand let me know and I could make those changes.

Also, I don't know what you have planned, but feel free to add the functionality to the original grocery app itself if you think it'll be useful.

• My goal is to read the items from a CalDAV server (Nextcloud in my case).
    As it is somewhat specific, I'll keep it separated for now.

The original Grocery app stores the items in the file "grocery" after first start or update. So I intended to change that file. I'll have a look into simpletimer and might adapt Grocery accordingly.

Thanks for guidance.

• Ok, great! If you could change it at least to grocery.json that'd be handy, as at least it'll be more obvious what it is when looking at storage files.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

How to just upload data using the App Loader

Posted by Avatar for avanc @avanc

Actions