Bangle Js v2

Posted on
Page
of 2
/ 2
Next
  • I thought I'd mention but this watch has the potential to be one of the best cheap watches around, because it has an appstore which is rare on a cheap watch, if it went mainstream instead of being classified as a "hackable " ,"open source" smartwatch it can be just a normal watch with the potential to build your own apps.It's even better with 2.0 because it now has a more common sleek design.

• Thanks! Yes, it's a good point. I think the out of box experience would need to be more polished (especially on the fitness side of things) and I'd have to have a curated section of the app store, but I think it could be a lot more mainstream.

It's tricky though - as you get more mainstream people get more picky. With the Bangle 1 I get people who buy it just to try out and then return it 2 weeks later for a refund. I'm not sure I got a single return from the original Espruino board, and I think as I go more mainstream that sort of thing will happen more and more.

• WOW ... exited to get one. Any idea how fare away we are from kickstarter campaign? Best regards. Martin.

• Hopefully less than a week now. I was hoping to launch on Monday but I got back from holiday to over 500 emails and a bunch of work, so I've had to delay it a bit.

I'm trying to get the bulk of the video sorted today - then maybe launch on Monday

• Is it released already?

• Mon 2021.09.27

Posted Wed 22nd, five days ago . . .

in news forum   Bangle.js 2 now on KickStarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gfw­/banglejs-2-the-open-smart-watch

Goal met. 14 days to go. Consider your pledge to support!

• Awesome! I just ordered two (they are so dam cheap!)
    Also added an announce on my very modest youtube channel

• 80k stretch goal coming next :-)

• And closing in fast! Reaching 100k+ seems very possible. Now it's just to figure out what that goal should be...

• I hope we will get the 80k. The app will make Bangle.js even more attractive.

• Thanks! I think right now it's looking like Bluetooth Long Range will be the 100k goal.

Also, didn't mention this on the KickStarter but after a period of not moving the accelerometer enters low power mode (1.25Hz), and that drops power usage to 0.15mA so you're looking at around 2 months battery life (with the screen always on!).

• Also, didn't mention this on the KickStarter but after a period of not moving the
    accelerometer enters low power mode (1.25Hz), and that drops power usage to 0.15mA so
    you're looking at around 2 months battery life (with the screen always on!).

We have to call you Gordon "The Wizard" Williams from now on ... :-)

• wow 2 month standby is really great 👍🏻

• I'd like to back Bangle Js 2 but it says rewards are not guaranteed? For those who back have you received your reward?

• There's still almost two weeks left on the campaign, so nobody has recieved anything yet (except those that have bought the developer watches from the Espruino store).

That's a message from Kickstarter, reminding you that Kickstarter isn't a store but a way for creators to raise money to complete their projects. Sometimes projects fail (I've had a couple of duds), but since Bangle.js 2 already is over 800% funded and there's still 13 days to go I believe the funds won't be an issue at least. And @Gordon is extremely good at running a campaign, so I'm not worried.

Also: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gfw­/banglejs-2-the-open-smart-watch/risks

• I'd like to back Bangle Js 2 but it says rewards are not guaranteed? For those who back
    have you received your reward?

Last time I did and Gordon has several other successful campaigns. Yes, you are right, on Kickstarter nothing is guaranteed. You have to assess the risks for yourself. In my case Gordons projects are up to now the only ones I were backing. If you don't want to back it right now on Kickstarter you may later buy it as a product on espruino.com, but with likely a higher price tag.

• Wed 2021.09.29

post #15 'I'd like to back Bangle Js 2 but it says rewards are not guaranteed? For those who back have you received your reward?'

See post #16 by @johan_m_o That's a message from Kickstarter, . . .

After seeing that you have been posting @SirXerox

Bangle.js replacing the screen?
    http://forum.espruino.com/profiles/17641­0/

I find it a bit of a stretch to doubt the validity and successes of the Espruino brand here.

Did you follow the link and Actually read the detail there??? (no)

Bangle.js 2 now on KickStarter

• Shipped over 40,000 official Espruino devices
    • Developed 6 further Espruino devices
    • Launched and successfully delivered three more KickStarter campaigns

and the forums speak for themselves.

3300 registered users - 5000 forum conversations - nearly 50,000 comments

http://forum.espruino.com/

I participated in the Bangle V1 campaign and also own every Authentic Espruino.

To satisfy your doubts, persuse the forums, review the more than 100 tutorials,

http://www.espruino.com/Tutorials

the bazillion apps created by current satisfied consumers

https://banglejs.com/apps/

follow the links in

Commonly Referenced Links to Review and Bookmark

Then if you are still not convinced, . . . wait, . . . and eventually wish you had gotten in early while everyone else is gleefully experimenting and enjoying their progress as you read thoses successes here in the forums.

• @SirXerox as the others say, on KickStarter the rewards aren't guaranteed, but creators are still legally responsible in some way.

It depends on the creator how safe you are, but I have shipped 4 KickStarter campaigns previously, and I actually have the devices sitting in boxes behind me, so personally I think the risks are extremely low - but at the end of the day the call is up to you.

• Gordon this is absolutely fantastic!

As my application area is health and fitness, I wonder what can you tell us about the step counter and the heart rate sensor. Chips used? Does the accelerometer include its HW step counter or are you relying on the same algorithm used on Bangle 1? What about the heart rate sensor?

I am very excited about this project, thanks very much for working on it.

• Fri 2021.10.01

'. . . the heart rate sensor. Chips used?'

Accessible from any Espruino site web page:

Menu >> Documentation >> Bangle.js 2

http://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js2

@user107850 Beneath the Features heading lists the mfg and part number.

• thanks. So it looks like they do not come with embedded algorithms. Developing some reliable step counting and heart rate measurement is going to be a challenge for us!

• Developing some reliable step counting and heart rate measurement is going to be a challenge for us!

@user107850 - totally agree. We have to get these solid if a health / fitness app is going to be of any value on the Bangle watches.

• @HughB has put an immense amount of work into the step counting algorithm, so I'd hope that should be pretty decent.

The heart rate sensor is the VC31. We actually use the code for auto-exposure adjustment that Vcare provide, but honestly it feels like that's the weak link right now. It can take quite a long time for it to adjust until it's providing decent PPG readings. After we get the readings we use our own algorithm but actually that's able to pull out heart rate pretty well.

• OK, good to know!
    I guess that the vcare library is not open source?
    Does the library also compute HR?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle Js v2

Posted by Avatar for SirXerox @SirXerox

Actions