Bangle.js 2 now on KickStarter

Posted on
  • As many of you know, I've been working on the successor to the original Bangle.js for a while now.

And I'm pleased to report that it's finally here! Bangle.js 2 is now on KickStarter

Features

• IP67 Waterproof (up to 1 meter for 30 minutes)
    • Nordic 64MHz nRF52840 ARM Cortex-M4 processor with Bluetooth LE
    • 256kB RAM 1024kB on-chip flash, 8MB external flash
    • 1.3 inch 176x176 always-on 3 bit colour LCD display (LPM013M126)
    • Full touchscreen
    • GPS/Glonass receiver (AT6558)
    • Heart rate monitor (Vcare VC31)
    • 3 Axis Accelerometer (Kionix KX023)
    • 3 Axis Magnetometer
    • Air Pressure/Temperature sensor (Bosch BMP280)
    • Vibration motor
    • 200mAh battery, 2 weeks standby time
    • 36mm x 43mm x 12mm watch body, with standard 20mm watch straps

Check it out here!

1 Attachment

• pink-on-paper-logo.jpg
  • oh, cool, early bird already gone, looks like there is some interest :-)

• I was looking for the "all the espruinos" option like last time, but I'm still happy to just take only the watch :)

• Pleased to support this next adventure.

• Great! It's a bit sad but it's so hard to make hardware at the moment (all nRF52 chips have a 1 YEAR lead time) I don't actually want to sell too many other boards or I'll end up selling out before I can get new stock!

• Notice this conversation about Bangle.js 2 Emulator now available.

• I notice a lot of comparison with Pebble... as much as Pebble was a great thing, afaik, it never had GPS nor was it geared towards being hackable, and therefore it is just like any other smartwatch without GPS . Any watch with GPS that has to look and be not as bulky - withxdepthxheight - as Bangle.js 1 and have has to go with the case, (practical no) bezel and glass in size and shape as Bangle.js 2. Any bezel around the glass requires either the glass to be larger or the view angle is smaller to see the complete face.

Attached cross sections of the different options of encasing (purple) the same volume for the electronics (green) - battery, pcb, display, glass (blue) strength, and wide view angel onto the active area (yellow) of the display. It is very obvious that a protected glass comes with a lot of bulk - first height (2) and then, in order to keep the wide viewing angle, also width x depth (3)... A 3D view would would show this even more pronounce. :

1 Attachment

• CaseBezelGlassDesigns.png
  • I’m interesting in getting the bangle is 2. Will you we able to disassemble the device like the banglesjs 1?

• @user135187, not the kickstarter version, because it exposes the SWD pins (Full SWD debug port on rear of watch - from kickstarter campaign main page) - and no need to open - except you want to tinker with the hardware that's inside. BUT: on https://shop.espruino.com/ @Gordon supplies/supplied(?) developer versions which have not glued on/in the glass... of course not IP67. Looks like they are all gone by now.

• Will you we able to disassemble the device like the banglesjs 1?

I'm afraid not, no. It's glued shut.

@allObjects I'm afraid even the developer version is glued. The lack of water resistance is just due to the sensor hole not having a protective membrane on it (which is because they're pre-production units).

• Ic.

• That is sad indeed. I was hoping that the kickstarter would have surprised me with new puck and pixl boards with the nrf52840 but I guess that would have to wait until the next one (or when the actual chips are back in circulation)?

• Yes, I had plans for a new nRF52840 Pixl but honestly the chip situation is such a mess right now it's almost impossible to keep the existing devices in stock let alone make new ones.

When things calm down I'll look at new devices, but that's likely 6+ months off

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle.js 2 now on KickStarter

Posted by Avatar for Gordon @Gordon

Actions