Bangle.js: after firmware update -> memory error

Posted on
  • Hello,
    I worked on little programs for the bangle.js and really like it so far! Nice I work normally with the nRF52 microcontrollers I wanted to reuse some C-Code from there.
    Before flashing the firmware with my changes, I tried out a official build.

After flashing, starting the welcome app (I didn't installed any other apps on the watch), this error is shown:

ERROR: Ctrl-C while processing interval 
    Execution interrupts during event proce
    Interpreter error: [ EMORY, MEMORY
      "CALLBACK",
      "LOW MEMORY",
       "MEMORY"
      ]
    New interpreter error: CALLBACK, LOW_MEMO
    Execution Interrupted during event proce
    Interpreter error: [ '', MEMORY
      "CALLBACK",
      "LOW MEMORY",
       "MEMORY"
      ]
    New interpreter error:  LOW_MEMORY, MEMORY

It goes on like that when I press the BTN1 and soon there is just a colored rectangle.
    Resetting and reflashing (with both apps) didnt help.

Does somebody know this error and can tell me what I did wrong? (and how to fix it)

I was wondering: The apps didn't hat an option to choose what file / which parts of the build should be flashed (unlike in the tutorial video). Maybe that's a hint?

Thank you very much for every help or idea hoping to continue my programming soon :)

Best Regards,
    TF

platform: bangle.js
    build: espruino_2v10_banglejs
    phone: iOS 14.7
    app: nPF Toolbox and nRF Connect
    video I mentioned: http://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js#firmwa­re-updates

• Hi,

That's odd - there isn't anything specifically that you've done wrong. The MEMORY error occurs when apps/widgets try and use up more memory than is available, and execution has to be halted.

Are you sure you'd only done 'Install Default Apps' in the app loader? If you installed a bunch of widgets then I might expect that when the main clock app was loaded, but actually the Welcome screen should usually be fine, and I remember testing that specifically with 2v10 firmware.

You could also try enabling Pretokenise apps before upload (smaller, faster apps) in the 'About' page of the app loader. I realise I may have been testing with this enabled, when it looks like the default may actually be with it off (I should fix that).

The apps didn't hat an option to choose what file / which parts of the build should be flashed (unlike in the tutorial video). Maybe that's a hint?

I'm not sure I understand? Do you have a link to the bit of the video you were expecting?

• I never used the app loader. Just in case I missed something, I connected it right now and under "my Apps" it only shows the 9 default apps I expected (Bootlader, Morphing Clock, About,.., Bluetooth Widget).
    Also the "About App" running on the bangle shows me, that nearly the whole memory is free.

Yes sure: https://youtu.be/uHJGsSaU6Zo?t=63

It doesnt ask me for the scope I wish. Maybe the iOS app is not analyzing the .zip anymore (or the feature is only available on the android version in the first place) or there is something wrong with my download. Everythin else seems to be just the same like in the tutorials, thats why I mentioned it.

edit: I used a the android app to flash again. Now I could choose the scope, but the problem still remains, so that just was a silly distraction. Sorry :/

I'll use the mentioned settings in the app loader and than try to downgrade the firmware.

• Simple, somewhat embarrassing solution: update the welcome app.

• Ahh, ok - thanks! The scope of update is a pointless window anyway (since the zip only contains the application) so chances are they removed it.

Simple, somewhat embarrassing solution: update the welcome app.

Great! While I try and keep firmware changes as backwards compatible as possible, it can happen that sometimes old apps don't work so well on new firmwares or new firmwares don't work well with old apps. Especially if it's the latter please let me know and I can try and get a fix in :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle.js: after firmware update -> memory error

Posted by Avatar for TeF @TeF

Actions