You are reading a single comment by @Ivor and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • While I wait for a Bangle2... I was tinkering with getting the ANT+ 332 softdevice working to use with secondary HRM's (only reason for going ANT rather the BLE is all my HR straps here are ANT+)

So I picked up another F18 type board to play with, interestingly this one doesn't have GPS or use an IO expander so everything's a direct link to the NRF52.
    So far I've got everything working but the flash isn't behaving (I've definitely traced the pins correctly to their new IO lines)

So the question I wanted to know/ask was what options there are for getting some/any debug logging out from the firmware? Is there any way to generate a debug message that can be passed back out to openocd or similar? or since the web bluetooth connection seems to be working is there any way from from the firmware to log to that? (I couldn't see either but I may have missed it)
    (up to now I've been relying on adding "vibrate buzz" statements at points in the code and counting them!) :)

• Is there any way to generate a debug message that can be passed back out to openocd or similar?

I think with segger tools this is pretty straightforward - google for Segger RTT. With OpenOCD google for SWO tracing - however this need GPIO pin 18 = TRACEDATA[0] to be free. RTT does not need any extra pins since this is just preallocated buffer in SRAM read over SWD.

Or maybe opeocd already has Segger RTT support merged https://www.reddit.com/r/embedded/commen­ts/80dg3a/how_exactly_does_the_segger_rt­t_work/ that works with any SWD dongle?

Or as a poor man's RTT you can allocate fixed buffer, write to it and dump it periodically from openocd via memory dump commands, it s not needed to stop CPU to read memory.

Of course you can also setup plain uart with just TX pin and log to that.

About