• Oh dear, it was all going so well!

I was following the tutorial for installing the Pico WiFi Shim, and found it difficult to solder the three pins that are close together - the ones you need a little bit of solid-core wire to link them.

I believe I have a short between the shim and the Pico where solder has bled through, but wanted to confirm, should the pins indicated in red share a connection? or have I borked it?

• (I should mention that the short testing produced the same results on the other side of the board)

• Uh-oh - no, the rightmost pin there is GND, leftmost is 3.3v - so they're definitely not expected to be a short!

Otherwise your soldering looks pretty neat as well.

All I can suggest is to put the soldering iron over both those pads (ideally all 3) and see if you can pull the shim very slightly away on the rear, then let everything cool down. Having a slight extra gap in there might help to get rid of the short.

• Bugger, never mind! 😆

OK, I'll stick the fat soldering tip on and give it a try!

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I'll post up my results.

• Well, something I did while jostling it about did the trick - although I lifted the pad on the middle pin! Hopefully it's salvageable, will try my best to fix the trace!

• I DID IT!

There was a tiny nub left under the lifted pad that I anchored a tiny wire to using solder paste, and then the bit of flappy trace on the other side of the pad was just able to be soldered to, it looks like a mess but I can happily say I managed to upload the firmware and run your example code!

When I get to glueing it all down (yep, gonna get the UV-cure resin out!) I'll send a picture for fun so you can see just how much I butchered my lovely little shim! 😭 haha

• Little jumper lead I added is highlighted in yellow. 🙈

• I think I can safely say this is the tiniest bit of soldering I've ever done!
    All glued up now, and still works when I plug it back in.

>
    >
     ____                 _
    |  __|___ ___ ___ _ _|_|___ ___
    |  __|_ -| . |  _| | | |   | . |
    |____|___|  _|_| |___|_|_|_|___|
             |_| espruino.com
     2v09 (c) 2021 G.Williams
    >
    Connecting to WiFi
    Connected
    Response:  httpCRs: { "hdrs": true,
      "headers": {
        "Date": "Tue, 06 Jul 2021 16:53:51 GMT",
        "Server": "Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)",
        "Last-Modified": "Fri, 15 Nov 2013 15:42:26 GMT",
        "ETag": "\"d-4eb390b887c80\"",
        "Accept-Ranges": "bytes",
        "Content-Length": "13",
        "Connection": "close",
        "Content-Type": "text/plain"
       },
      "cRcv": 0,
      "httpVersion": "1.1",
      "statusCode": "200",
      "statusMessage": "OK"
     }
    --->Hello World!
    > 

I'm chuffed to bits. Many thanks again for the help Gordon!

Now I will be able to make my IR remote control do more than just control the media buttons on my PC :-)

• That's great! Glad you got it working - that is some extremely tiny soldering there!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Uh-oh! Short detected after soldering Pico WiFi Shim

Posted by Avatar for Stoaty @Stoaty

Actions