Gadgetbridge Music Controls

Posted on
  • Hey everyone!
    I'm quite new to Bangle/Espruino/Javascript (got my BangleJS about a month ago) and I'm wondering if I was doing something wrong. After I updated the Gadgetbridge (0.21 -> 0.22) and Gadgetbridge Music Controls (0.3 -> 0.4) apps and my BangleJS (2v08 -> 2v09), I can no longer change an album/music folder by clicking four times on BTN2. And I can't see the "disable touch controls" setting.
    Did I overlook an incompatibility or sth different?

• I can no longer change an album/music folder by clicking four times on BTN2

Clicking four times never did anything: it's two times for next (and once for play/pause, three for previous)

Something weird seems to be going on though, as (at least for me) https://banglejs.com/apps/#gbmusic shows v0.03 as the latest version, instead of v0.04. (even if I download https://banglejs.com/apps/apps.json directly)
    The "disable touch controls" setting was only added in v0.04, so my guess would be that whatever weirdness happened might have caused v0.03 to be installed on your watch.

• Oh I'm sorry. I guess I confused myself with another smartwatch I was using lately, where I controlled the musicplayer via BLE HID. And it seems I don't really understand the Github/App Loader versioning. It's v0.03 on my watch, but I thought it should be v0.04 because the changelog of Music Control tells me sth about v0.04. I should've rechecked the version before opening this thread...

• So after I slept some hours, I took a look at the app again and now can clarify some things: it were multiple presses on the "play/pause" touch control instead of BTN2 with which I can skip an album and this still works, so the thing I confused myself with was messing up BTN- and touch-control. My app for music-playback on Android (MortPlayer Music, a folder-based player) has the option to watch for multiple play/pause presses to change to next/previous song (2x and 3x) and next/previous folder (4x and 5x). But I couldn't figure out why it works with the "touch to play/pause" option and not the "BTN2 to play/pause" option.
    Maybe because the "touch-play" only sends play/pause commands whereas BTN2 has multiple types of commands on multiple presses?

• Glad you figured it out! Potentially if your music player is responding the button presses (rather that via the commands issued from GadgetBridge) you can use https://banglejs.com/apps/#hidmsic

The difference is that the app above makes Bangle.js look like a Bluetooth keyboard - so when you send a command it seems to the phone like you're physically pressing a button. While it's a bit more hassle it might work with your app more like you expect.

Also, the BangleApps repo isn't automatically updated - I manually do it maybe once a week. If you want the absolute latest then you can use the GitHub version: https://espruino.github.io/BangleApps/#g­bmusic

• @radswid:

My app for music-playback on Android (MortPlayer Music, a folder-based player) has the option to watch for multiple play/pause presses to change to next/previous song (2x and 3x) and next/previous folder (4x and 5x).

I could add a setting to disable 2x/3x presses, making it just pass on all presses as play/pause directly. But it looks like the app also responds to long-pressing, and that's not going to work through GadgetBridge. Do you need those to work as well?
    Meaning I'd be happy to add the setting (it won't be much work) but if you're going for https://banglejs.com/apps/#hidmsic anyway please say so and I won't bother ;-)

@Gordon

the BangleApps repo isn't automatically updated - I manually do it maybe once a week.

Right, that makes total sense.

• That setting would be really great!
    I never used the long-press functionality in MortPlayer, only the 'multipresses'.
    Many thanks to both of you, hopefully one day I can contribute an usefull app too :)

• Wow, great, thank you! Really love the Github-compare feature, which helps me to understand code. May I ask one more question, rigrig? Why did you remove the "disable touch" option? Is there a limitation for lines of code or are too much setting-possibilities interfering with something?

• Why did you remove the "disable touch" option?

The touch disabling only really needed adding because there was a bug in the Espruino firmware, which has now been fixed. It's not in 2v09, but if you're using the cutting edge builds (or 2v10 when it gets released) then you won't have the problem :)

• Hi, I am using this to control the music (Spotify) on a Samsung phone connected to a bangle 2. Everything works fine except changing the volume up or down. Swiping up or down does not seem to trigger anything on the phone. Do I need to set something up for that?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Gadgetbridge Music Controls

Posted by Avatar for radswid @radswid

Actions