BangleJs hanging while booting

Posted on
  • Hi,

The watch has been working ok for a couple of weeks but this morning the watch was unresponsive. I hard rebooted the device with buttons 1 and 2, and the watch started the boot process.

However, after around 5 minutes the watch still displayed the boot screen graphic. I tried buttons 1 and 3 to get to the apps menu, but that took me to a blank screen.

I hard rebooted a few times to see if it was an intermittent problem but its the same each time. The device loads the boot graphic then seems to hang.

When the device is just showing the boot loader graphic I can connect via Bluetooth still using the web IDE, which kind of suggests the device hasn't crashed, but when I click storage it just shows RAM and no other storage options.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Michael

• Hi,

Which firmware version are you on? It should say under the Bangle.js logo.

Have you tried connecting to the App Loader, 'About', and clicking 'Install Default Apps'?

What could have happened is with older firmwares there were some issues with compaction (what happened when storage space ran low on the flash memory). If that failed it could have ended up wiping the contents of the watch's memory.

Or I don't know if you were doing any development on it? I'm not sure how but if require("Storage").eraseAll() got called that would be exactly that effect

• Hi Gordon,

Thanks for replying. Its 2v06 I think.

I have written a custom app and its does log data to the watch flash memory. I hadn't implemented any memory availability checking yet, so it could be that my app filled the memory without me realising.

App Loader > About > Install Default Apps has got the watch back up and running!

I notice on the app loader theres an updated firmware, but I don't have an Android device. Is there any other upgrade path?

Thanks,

Michael

• Ok, glad it's working! Do you have an iOS device? You can use the same 'nRF connect / nRF toolbox' app on that for updates.

Failing that you can use anything with Web Bluetooth via the Web IDE, but some people have reported some issues with that on some OSes so I'd say avoid it for now if possible.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

BangleJs hanging while booting

Posted by Avatar for user120814 @user120814

Actions