Puck.js. 2.0 unsoldered battery base

Posted on
  • Hi !
    I have encountered on many puck.js buttons 2.0 only, a hardware problem.
    The battery base was unsoldered on one side..
    I had this issue on about ten buttons ..

It happen after the battery was inserted.
    The battery base is more narrow than 1.0 and i feel that we have to force more to put the battery inside the base..

has other users encountered this issue ?

What can you do ? maybe this issue is corrected since ?

Thank you

• Hi,

Sorry to hear this - where and when did you get the Puck.js v2? Feel free to message me personally if it's sensitive.

If you drop me an email at gw@pur3.co.uk we can arrange to send them back and get them fixed for you.

We had some issues with the very first batch of Puck.js v2 that were produced caused by them not having had enough time in the reflow oven to let the solder adhere to the connector properly, but we tested that batch particularly carefully and reworked any that had issues. In subsequent batches it was solved.

We have always tested every single Puck.js that we send out ourselves by inserting a battery (albeit only halfway in), and any Puck that didn't have the battery connector held on with reasonable force would fail at that point. In the two most recent batches we haven't had any failures, and so far we have had just a single Puck.js returned (from an early batch) with a loose battery connector.

In terms of the v1 to v2 change - Puck.js v1 used a through-hole connector which is obviously very strong, but to fit the extra sensors in the v2 and help with production we used a surface mount connector. We did test it for strength though (as well as having used that connector on Pixl.js for at least a year beforehand without issue) so we're confident that barring that initial issue with the reflow it's a very strong solution.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Puck.js. 2.0 unsoldered battery base

Posted by Avatar for Christof550 @Christof550

Actions