• Yes, but it can be done because my driver does two things (in parallel) when updating some rectangular area

1. palette conversion (any palette depth to 8, 12 or 16 bits RGB)
    2. sending pixel data

If you keep those steps separated - palette conversion done via E.mapInPlace or drawImage into buffer and then using lcd_spi_unbuf driver for sending the area over SPI, you cannot do it in parallel

So it comes back to

So why not add lcd_spi_unbuf_drawImage() to lcd_spi_unbuf.c to make it even faster?

and

I probably wouldn't want to merge something in if it was a specific hack for drawImagejust for lcd_spi_unbuf.c

This is specific optimization for DMA based (in this case SPI) graphics driver - draw image in any bpp/palette source into destination rectangle in different bit depth (mainly RGB). So adding this to the unbuffered driver makes sense to me. @Gordon what version of such code would you merge? if it should reuse some generic palette/bpp conversion graphics code it would need to be callable in chunks - i.e. 'convert next x bytes from source into this buffer'.

Or is there some other way to look at it? Maybe it could be somehow hooked into drawing algorithms directly and be somehow line based? Thats not what I did, it first needs to be drawn into memory buffer completely and then conversion/blitting is done in g.flip for modified rectangle. With this unbuffered driver it would be the same just without full buffer for whole screen but only for smaller rectangular image so g.flip() would become g.drawImage().

@jeffmer not sure if you've seen it, the InlineC method of my driver (version for DK08 watch, the destination is 6bit RGB) is here and calling it in g.flip is here

For P8 watch and 240x240 ST7789 destination is 12 bits RGB (saves 33% vs 16 bit RGB). 12bit mode is also on ST7735 but maybe it is not so visible on smaller screens, with 240x240 the 33% speedup is visible.

About

Avatar for fanoush @fanoush started