Hour/Date issue

Posted on
  • Hi everyone !
    Well, with my problem when the battery ran out, I found a light problem. I think.
    As user, I expect to set my watch to hour and date I wish. So, I set MY date/time (Settings->Set Time). All right, the clock shows my date/time.
    Then, I turn off the watch and switch it on: my date/time has vanished and shows the date/time get by the GPS.
    I set my date/time again and I reboot the watch (BTN1+BTN2). Again, my date/time vanished and the watch shows (again) the date/time get by the GPS.
    I think this is a problem: setting the date/time is not saved in the nrf52832 Real Time Clock as I expected it to be.
    Can we have the choice to have the date/time set by user or GPS ?
    Thank you.
    Francis

• Hi,
    I got the same problem:
    Somehow the date got mixed up (battery didnt ran out) and everytime I restart it takes back the old time/date.

• setting the date/time is not saved in the nrf52832 Real Time Clock as I expected it to be.

Unfortunately the nRF52 can't keep the full time in the real-time clock when it powers off or does a hard reboot. The RTC just doesn't have enough precision.

Not sure I understand what you mean? You can ALWAYS set the time up using the settings menu.

GPS time is only checked if the watch starts and the date is still set to 1970.

Somehow the date got mixed up (battery didnt ran out) and everytime I restart it takes back the old time/date.

If you set the time/date correctly from settings the clock will be fine. It's then only when you do a proper hard reboot (BTN1+BTN2) it'll be lost.

If you use the GPS enough outside to get a lock, any time from then on that you do a hard reboot the time will be grabbed from that.

However right now we don't try and set the GPS time up when the clock time is set - the only way to set GPS time is by going outside with GPS on.

• Hi everybody
    @Gordon: thank you very much for your answer.
    Some precisions...

setting the date/time is not saved in the nrf52832 Real Time Clock as I expected it to be.

Unfortunately the nRF52 can't keep the full time in the real-time clock when it powers off or does a hard reboot. The RTC just doesn't have enough precision.

So, when I change the Bangle.js date/time (Settings>Set Time) and, after reboot or switching it off, I loose my date/time: from where comes this replacing date/time if it is not stored in the nrf52832 RTC ?

GPS time is only checked if the watch starts and the date is still set to 1970.

So, why I can't set it manually ?

Not sure I understand what you mean? You can ALWAYS set the time up using the settings menu.

Yes, but I will loose my date/time as soon as I switch off my Bangle.js.
    What I mean is to have an option, in the Settings, to let the user choose between:

• AUTOMATIC: the Bangle.js set the date/time alone (by GPS or using the Bangle.js App Loader via the "Set Bangle.js Time" button) or
    • USER: the user set the date/time and the Bangle.js keeps this date/time: if I want to be every time 5 minutes late, the Bangle.js keeps those 5 minutes late even if I reboot it or switch it off.

In all cases, thank you, thank you, thank you for the Bangle.js and the time you give to us answering all our claims.

Francis

• So just for understanding, is this how it's supposed to work ? [attached video]

It shows now the right time (which it remembers after turning off and on again), after I synced it via Gadgetbridge to my phone's time [Gadgetbridge -> Settings -> Data and Time -> Sync Time active] {maybe you could try this @Fram ?}

I assume that the set Gadgetbridge-Time conflicts with any manual- / GPS set time on the Bangle.

Greetings and thanks for your time :)
    Matt

1 Attachment

• from where comes this replacing date/time if it is not stored in the nrf52832 RTC ?

It's stored in RAM. The RTC is 24 bits (IIRC) and effectively keeps time to the nearest 6 months, but past that Espruino has to store the offset in RAM.

Bangle.js cannot keep track of the current time through resets/being turned off - so I can't give you the option. I could give you the option to disable getting time from GPS, but I don't see how it helps you to have your time always set to midnight 1970 when you turn it on.

So just for understanding, is this how it's supposed to work ?

Thanks for the video! Yes, it is.

The time from the GPS comes from the GPS satellites, not your Bangle's settings. So if you change the time in the Bangle, turn it off so it forgets, and then turn it back on it'll grab the GPS time instead.

If you want to change the clock by an hour, it's best to go to 'Locale' and change your timezone. That way the time will be correct each time it boots.

There was an issue with the original versions of Gadgetbridge where the wrong timezone was used, so potentially that might explain why the timezone gets set wrong, if that is causing you issues?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Hour/Date issue

Posted by Avatar for Fram @Fram

Actions