Can't open launcher with BTN 2

Posted on
  • When it last worked I was using the app GPS Info - my GPS didn't have a lock on a satellite. Stopped looking at the watch, and next time I look the watch was turned off. Battery was out (down from about 35%, and GPS Info ran for about 15 min).
    Nothing works, reboot, turning it off and on again ...
    BLE is turned off.

• Wed 2020.04.01

Hi @user110940, I had a similar situation with a KickStarter Beta version, not the current March shipment.

'Nothing works, reboot, turning it off and on again'

Has the watch been left in an off position, with the charging cable connected, and a period of at least twenty minutes elapsed, before an attempt to turn on the display has been attempted?

Fully charged, three hours would be better, see actual practical example in #2 post:

Charging

• Could you elaborate? Does the watch actually boot up to show a clock face now?

• Exactamundo!

But the battery widget is completely green. I should try charging for 3 hours regardless?
    By the way, do I need to use phone charger?

• yes, it shows pipboy app. Long press BTN3 looks like it exits an app (screen flicker) and it says "Searching for GPS time" then goes back to clock face. Long press BTN1 + BTN2 - resets. BTN2 - no reaction.

Regarding the clocks, I selected pipboy before updating bootloader or launcher, don't remember which one. After update everything worked as expected except changing the clock app for clock face which did nothing on BTN2 press. But that is another matter or maybe not ...

• I imagine you're fine charge-wise then...

It could be related to the app (or other widgets that are installed). Although I just installed it here and it works great...

What if you do Install default apps in the App Loader (which will wipe everything and start again). It should work then?

If you want to debug it, I'd go to https://www.espruino.com/ide/ and connect to your watch, then long-press BTN3 to re-launch the clock, and see if any errors get reported to the console

• I can't use BLE since it is turned off on the bangle and I can't access the launcher.

• There is one thing BTN2 does. Turns the screen on, like pressing any of the other buttons does.

• Follow these instructions to update the watch firmware with the latest nightly build: https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js#firmw­are-updates

Then do this to load it without any code running: https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js#reset­ting-without-loading-any-code

Then do Install default apps in the App Loader

That's what works for others who got in that position

• do you know when we will be able to use the USB portion if the IDE for uploading the bootloader or basic apps? I can not use the Bluetooth on my web browser ot upload. I am able to log on to the IDE and talk to the device fine. For somereason I can not get the menu to appear. The welcome app keeps repeating, and I can re-set it using the buttons however I can not get it past the repeating welcoming message even if I upload a new clock. Also the clock appearance does not show from the command line - E.showMenu();

• Sat 2020.04.11

'I can not use the Bluetooth on my web browser ot upload.'
    'I am able to log on to the IDE and talk to the device fine.'

@Skog, The above two statements are contradictory, . . . as you are able to logon and talk to the device, then you are communicating over BT.

Has the procedures, troubleshooting link beneath 'Problems' heading outlined at:

Just got your Bangle.js? Here's how to get started

been followed, and on through to the link:

https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js#reset­ting

to completely remove existing code been tried.

Follow the 'Development' link

Bangle.js - app upload - upload failed

Follow each and report back where one is stuck.

Questions that others will need the answers to:
    What PC OS?
    Which WebIDE? (online? https://www.espruino.com/ide/)
    Results of process.env

• I would try uploading new firmware to your device. The newest firmware ensures that the Welcome screen only appears once (before you had to go right to the end of it to stop it re-appearing).#

But you will never be able to upload by USB I'm afraid as Bangle.js has no USB connection

• Ok, sorry for the delay = it was only the emulator I was able work on.

So the issue is I have to get a Blue Tooth app for my iPad

However having stated it, the welcome screen keeps looping without being able to get the menu.

So far I have not done anything except plug in the power (USB only)

SKOG

• the welcome screen keeps looping without being able to get the menu.

That's an odd one. Did you get the watch working at all?

A new Espruino firmware may well fix it, but the easy solution is to log in with the app loader and delete the Welcome app.

• When it arrived - the menu showed and the battery received power. After I turned off the communications from the menu (iPad not yet having arrived). I also turned off the welcome screen, and turned it back on from the menu - then it looped. So far nothing can happen. I am able to power it off through the button, and put it in set up mode (Ben1 & btn2) however the blue tooth does not appear in the device list when blue tooth is turned on with the receiving unit (IPad)

• I am able to power it off through the button, and put it in set up mode (Ben1 & btn2) however the blue tooth does not appear

I guess that'd be because Bluetooth got turned off in settings.

Best thing to do is just install the latest firmware from https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js#firmw­are-updates - you can then reboot with BTN1+BTN2 and you'll be able to connect via Bluetooth and upload new code

• Sure - although the question is - has anyone else experienced the problem? There should just be a way to reset it to factory defaults

Also I understood that to download firmware I still have to use Bluetooth.?

SKOG

• has anyone else experienced the problem?

Yes. They have - it's just if you didn't update the firmware and then you disable Bluetooth and manage to break it.

There should just be a way to reset it to factory defaults

There is. That's what BTN1+BTN2 the Install Default Apps in the app loader is, and it works great with up to date firmware (or if you don't disable Bluetooth)

Also I understood that to download firmware I still have to use Bluetooth.?

Yes, but the bootloader is always there is is 100% unaffected by Bangle.js settings - just try it.

• So — I was able to get it on track. It had to do with a combination of button presses on the watch. I am not sure it is wise to say I broke it if the issue came with the device, unless that is a vernacular click your getting into. The Adafruit app works alright for what does although the BBLE app for web bluetooth still wont connect for some reason. The bangle shows up on the iPad under devices however only one connection is allowed - it connects to the app and not the iPad or vice-versa

• the BBLE app for web bluetooth still wont connect for some reason

WebBLE? I think you have to be unpaired from the device for it to show up in WebBLE - but hopefully that's not too big a deal?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Can't open launcher with BTN 2

Posted by Avatar for user110940 @user110940

Actions