You are reading a single comment by @fanoush and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • surprised by the backer response it was quite dramatic what happened

What happened? I never saw any of this and I can't read the backer-only posts?

I don't really know how Pine64 can get that cheap unless they don't intend to make money off the watches (maybe it's a stunt to get consultancy work?). Of course it means people do compare the two though: https://twitter.com/FXBOY4EVA/status/120­1962843731570689

• I don't really know how Pine64 can get that cheap unless they don't intend to make money off the watches (maybe it's a stunt to get consultancy work?).

I think it is a stunt in a way. This glorified dev kit is just some existing watch they put in plastic box with 4wires. So they did almost zero effort. Even the pinout they probably got from the 'Da Fit' friend so they even saved the reverse engineering effort. Most of what they said about it just hot air or weasel words (or lies) around the reality that it is just Y7 watch with no R&D done by them. And BTW the 52840 reference for future version was removed from their wiki.

OTOH I think they really want promote open source smart watch and they are shipping those watches for free basically to anyone who claims to be developer. So maybe there is just cultural difference in ways how to achieve that goal.

About

Avatar for fanoush @fanoush started