• Nice - I'd be interested to find out if there's anything else that uses the long writes? I'm not sure I'd want to merge that exactly as-is, but I reckon it could be tweaked such that the memory buffer would be allocated on demand out of JsVars.

The malloc thing should really be allocated on the stack I guess (since I don't really support malloc in Espruino - I'm amazed that worked). Although honestly I don't think that's even needed - the event could be posted and then the data read directly out of the buffer outside of the IRQ.

I had a quick play with the MTU stuff and did this: https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/tre­e/increased_mtu

But it takes a huge chunk out of available RAM. Perhaps an increased (but not huge) MTU would still be an idea?

I haven't had a chance to test it out properly, but my hope is that I can enable it for the bootloader to try and improve the speed of flashing (but then the flasher will have to know about the MTU).

• Would it be possible to create a library function that takes a maximum MTU size as parameter, and allocates the memory from jsVars? For example NRF.setMaxMTU(xxx) or something like that?
    I think right now this is could be an "expert" feature, so the user either knows the needed MTU size, or can spend some time guessing experimenting. Can the devices auto-negotiate?
    But if available, that could open up some new opportunities. For example my "data streaming" thingy might benefit from higher MTU size & higher bandwidth. Ok, should go and actually complete that :)

• iOS will automatically set MTU to 185 bytes. I think max. 200 bytes is a good size. This would be very handy if we are using the HTTP Proxy example.

Apart from that, is it correct that we would have to switch SDK to a newer version to support bigger MTU sizes? I feel like Espruino still runs on SDK 12.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started