You are reading a single comment by @nhlives and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I will not be making any decisions soon on a platform. I plan on getting an esp32 to test with. In any case, I putting this off for at least six weeks as I'm going on an extended vacation :-)

allObjects
    ...least because it is frugal power consumption, especially when you
    go BLE for communication - battery driven / cordless...

Power has never been a problem as they are always AC connected.

Bill, the founder, and primary source of funding is not too keen on changing platforms. He does the hardware builds and is pretty comfortable with the ESP8266. We will see how much he wants to do the Google Local Home.

As to the liability question, corporate insurance for sure. Bill does a pretty extensive interview with perspective clients to be sure that the would not have any problems with whatever position the controller might put them in. We have declined, unfortunately, some that might not be able to handle having the bed in any maximum or minimum position. There are waivers to sign, etc.

We do not have any way to determine starting or stopping positions on these beds as they do not have any sensors that we can interrogate. If we were shipping an entire bed, we could probably do that. But that is not the current model or would I expect it to change. The normal standard is to limit bed movement to 15 seconds for any command. That normally means the clients has to issue several commands to make the bed travel to a full up position, for example. We only support "turn On". There is no "turn Off" command.

One problem I had with node.js on the ESP8266 was the limitations to what was supported. I just needed a couple more unsupported events:

response.on('finished'); 

About

Avatar for nhlives @nhlives started